Browning BAR disadvantages?

HKguy9

Is there anything inherently wrong with the Browning BAR design? I hear very little about them. I am talking the sporter models, not the WWII ones (if there is a difference, I don't know)

I am interested in the HK SLB and understand they are very similar.

Fragile? Unreliable? High maintanance, or are they AOK?

They're OK.

More complicated than your typical military autoloader to take apart for cleaning, but my father's has held up well and hasn't balked on any ammo... though he's stuck to factory ammo and Hirtenberger surplus.

My uncle has an early one in .30-06 that has never failed in year after year of hunting. I'm thinking about buying it when he finally decides to sell it and I'm first in line.

My father had a newer one in .280 that worked just fine for the few years he had it. He used it on his last deer hunt when he was 75 (the mountains are a bit too steep for him these days) and bagged 2 deer with 2 fast shots at 110 yards. He said the hardest part was getting up off that cold stump to get a clear shot at both of them. I liked the .280, but not as much as my uncle's gun.

Hope this helps a little.

John

They are expensive and most are just too pretty to hunt with.

They are not as accurate as a bolt gun but they are accurate enough for hunting.

One thing for sure. They are much better than the Remington auto.

Jimmy Mac

What's your source regarding the Remington autos? I'm not disputing what you say. I have a 7400 30-06 Carbine. It'll shoot all day. Just as long as I'm not to fussy about where the bullet goes. If I'm real lucky I can hold a 4" group @ 100 yards.

I haven't a clue as to the very subjective reason, but somehow the Browning has always felt awkward to me. Great rifles; those who like 'em, love 'em. I've known several elk hunters out of CenTex who absolutely swear by them.

FWIW, I have a Rem 742K, '06, with a K4 that will give me 1-1/2" three shot groups to 2" at 100 yards, regularly. Plenty good close-quarters deer gun.

Art

Browning BARs are extremely well made and very PRETTY. They really shoot great too, but because they are so pretty its not a gun I'd want to take into the field.

The main disadvantage is that when they break, its harder to find parts than it is for Ruger or Remingtons. Other than that, IMO, the Browning BARs are the BEST hunting semi-auto rifles on the market in the under $1,000 price range.

I'm looking at the HK SLB2000 which is $1350, same price as my M1A Scout. Always liked HK workmanship, though.

They are expensive and most are just too pretty to hunt with.
Hunh? They aren't expensive at all compared to other semi-autos. They're higher than Remington... but, try buying an AR-10 for $650-750.

I have one in .270 and love it...BUT...it is not as slim, trim, and handy as a sporter weight bolt rifle. If I ever buy a bolt action .270, I probably won't take the BAR to the woods anymore. I'll retire it to the safe and the range...I don't think I'll ever sell it.

Browning BAR is a superb piece of machinery to hunt with.
With the B.O.S.S.-C.R. it's even better.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/bar/bar.htm

The STALKER model is the one I'd get if I got another one:
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/bar/bar_stalker.htm
.338 Win.Mag. with the "BOSS".

Mine has a Bell&Carlson stock so the wood is still new in the box!
The finish on mine is gloss with engraving. The STALKER model did not exist when I bought mine in 7mm Rem.Mag.
I almost dumped a lot of money to build what would eventually be the STALKER...and I would've ruined a good gun doing it, too.
Now, all I have to do is spend the money on a gun that's built that way in the first place!!!
Nice gun, that BAR. You won't regret having a well made firearm.

Attachments

• busmaster007  bar -1 enhanced 1a.jpg
    busmaster007 bar -1 enhanced 1a.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 84
Me was lookin' at wunna these...

slb2k.gif

SB, those HK SLB2000's caught my eye too, one because I allready have a 30.06 bolt gun, but mostly because they come with 10 round magazines. It appears that none of the US made semis do. Then I thought I read somewhere that they aren't producing 10 rounders for the HK either? Confused here. But that sure is a pretty rifle. Edited to add: I live in the mainland USA and could own a "salty" rifle if I wanted one (I do). But I do really like that HK.

Well, beauty's in the eye of the beholder. I think that's one of the uglier firearms I've seen recently...stock's purty, though.

Sceptre- that could be a thread. What makes a pretty rifle? SB I was making a jab at some states reluctance to let their citizens own so-called "assault rifles". Not an original of mine, "salty rifles", but I thought it rather catchy.

Back