Browning BAR 338 win mag

jbirdhaffield

I was looking for a BAR and ran across a very nice almost new BAR 338 win mag. I live in Florida and the deer around here don't need that kind of gun hitting them. I'm not a fan of big recoil, but I am paying under $500 for this gun. It is a newer model with the Browning sign under the trigger guard and like I said it is in PERFECT shape. I now have a Remington 700 .270 that kicks pretty hard. It weighs about 9 lbs with the scope. I am guessing the recoil is around 16 lbs with the 130 grain bullets. I know after researching that the 338 win mag has almost double that recoil right around 30 lbs. My question to you is, will the Browning BAR being a semi auto with the BOSS system be alot less recoil than a standard 338 win mag bolt action? I know that a semi auto will cut the recoil down a bit, but just wondering how the (BOSS) ported adjustable muzzle break will help. Please give me any advice that you can. It may be worth buying just because the price and maybe sell later. Thanks alot!

Last edited:
It may be worth buying just because the price and maybe sell later.
That would be my thought.From what I hear, I dont think I'd care for the recoil of a .338, and I too dont need anythng that potent, but I wouldnt mind having a BAR, and lots of others feel the same, so I'd think reselling it for a profit at some point woul be pretty easy.Add in the fact that the potent calibers seem to be all the rage anymore, and It should be even easier.

The Boss will dramatically decrease the recoil especially being in the BAR. I have a 7mm BAR with Boss and the recoil is similar to a 243 bolt action. You can nearly keep the target in the scope under recoil. I have shot a 338 with Boss and it wasn't much different. It was noticebly more recoil, but just barely. It was similar to a Garand if you've ever shot one of those. I'd jump on it for the price. They are very well made guns which are becoming harder to find these days.

Back