Browning B-92

Dave T

Just picked up a used Browning B-92 in 44 Magnum. This was the first (earliest) repro 92 Winchester.

This one is mechanically sound but the wood is dinged in a couple places (some chips out of the hard plastic finish Browning is so fond of). I was thinking about sanding off the plastic and staining it walnut then putting on an old finish, so it would look a little more like what it was intended to look like (Winchester). Problem is the front forearm band is pinned on, not attached with a screw like the original. Anyone have any experience taking one of these off, then successfully getting it back on???

Also, it isn't a 44 WCF but that's the performance I'm looking for. Can any of you suggest loads or powders to give me about 1200-1300 fps with a 200g cast bullet in the 44 Magnum? Most loading manuals are into the "magnum" thing so bad their starting loads are around 1500-1800 fps. I'm looking to duplicate the 44-40 performance in this very light weight carbine.

Thanks for any opinions or suggestions.

I haven't tried 200 grainers in the .44 mag, but I use a 240 gr Carroll cast SWC with 5.0 Accurate Arms N100 powder. Remarkable accuracy out of my 94 Trapper and although I haven't chrono'ed it, it can't be doing much over 1100-1200 (data gives 826 fp at 4.5 gr for 7.5" barrel). No leading at all. Their 2000 Guide lists the 200 gr bullets at 4.7 gr N100 for 911 fps, same barrel . I had to up the listed load for my bullet a mite (+0.5 gr) for accuracy and good seal, but it still gives real low pressure signs and is VERY clean. Hodgdon also has some loads listed for their powders.

doublegunner,
Thanks for the response. By chance I was at the range this morning with the chronograph. I tried a couple loads, made up of some powders I had on hand and some loads turned out by the Bonanza Pistol Powder measure rotors I have on hand.
Interestingly, the first load I tried duplicated the performance I was looking for and I didn't think it would work. 10.2g of HS-6 behind a 205g FP averaged 1258 fps.
What surprised me the most is that the only reason I tried this powder was that it was the one that duplicated the black powder perfromance I had gotten from balloon head cases back when I was playing around with original 19th Century guns and loads. 11g of HS-6 behind a 250g RNFP averaged 865 fps from a 4 5/8" Vaquero.
Looks like HS-6 is my black powder duplication powder. Who'd a thunk it?

Excellent, Dave T, glad you found a load that works. I almost bought some HS-6 but I ended up with N100 because it was being closed out for $7 a can. Was I suprised when it worked well in both the .44mag and .45 Colt. So I got all the rest they had and hope to be shootin' cheap for a while, maybe even practice enough to get good!

I shoot 44 WCF in both '73 winchester and '73 colt repos. I know for large cases with small smokeless charges Tightgroup (sp) and Clays both work well. Many CAS shooters use these and I've found the performace of Tightgroup in my 44 WCFs to be great. Tightgroup was actually designed for large cases with lots of extra room, so that it would produce consistant results regardless of where the powder is in the cartridge.

Drive the forearm pin out-left to right. If the band can't be slid off with your hand, use a piece of wood or plastic, and a light hammer to gently "bump" it forward and off. Before removing, use a magic marker or pencil to mark the band so it goes back on the same way. This usually isn't necessary...but. Also remember which end of the pin goes first 'IF' the pin has spline marks on one end.

Brownell's sell a stain that duplicates the old Winchester "Red" stock color. If I remember correctly, the wood on the B-92 is walnut, so this would really look good.

Back