browning auto 5...

idigg

hey guys. im about to take ownership of my grandfathers auto5.. all of his guns were family hand me downs, or bought by himself, new, and im trying to figure out if this was one he bought, or one he got from his dad. i found a bit of serial number info, but i cant seem to find this one. the serial number is BXXXXX (this was on the side of the action, not the barrel...

according to this page:
http://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/ctgy/browning-auto-5-history

b stands for 12g, but im not sure what the rest of the numbers mean. it seems like it might be something made pre ww2?

Per your description and MGW's chronology, it appears yours was made by Remington during the 1940-1946 period. In your shoes I would check the bore, lightly oil the exterior of the magazine tube and insure the friction rings are correctly oriented.

Then take it out and shoot it. I recently acquired a '69 Light Twelve and it is the easiest hitting, softest kicking (with no pad!) 12 gauge auto I've ever fired. These will run cheapie field loads that make gas guns cry and hunker in the corner. I hadn't shot an A5 in 40 years and frankly, I don't know how I ever got along without one.

thats what i thought at first, but mgw says 14Bxxx,xxx(229,000-237,000)..

mine says Bxx,xxx one less digit.

btw, is there any harm in listing my actual serial number on here? i err'd on the side of caution.

Does it have a slide safety that goes through the trigger guard? If so, it would be a very early model. It should say on the barrel if it was made in Belgium.

Back