Browning Auto 5 - Remington 11 parts interchange

Auto5

I have an older Browning A5, but according to the serial number (B10XXX) it was actually made in the U.S. by Remington during the war years. A previous owner added a Weaver comp/choke to the barrel, probably in the 60's or 70's from the looks of it. I would like to get another barrel for it, but the prices on Browning barrels, even used and abused, are more than the cost of the gun. Remington Model 11 barrels, on the other hand, can be had for 1/3 of the price or less. Will the Remington barrel fit my Remington/Browning?

Not really sure about that one. I've got a couple Belguim A5's and love them. I picked up a Light 12ga about 15 years ago for $1000 with 7 EXTRA barrels. I kept most of those until about 4-5 years ago and got my $1000 back lol. What exactly are you wanting to do with the other barrel? I'm trying to remember, was it the Savage/Stevens 720 that was also based on the A5? Somebody on here will know for sure. They may be even cheaper than the Model 11's.

At one point, Remington did make the Browning A5, but it was the A5. The Remington 11 is not the same gun although, IIRC, many parts will interchange. Barrels, I don't know. Maybe the seller knows or will give you a refund if you order and it doesn't fit (as long as you don't alter it).

Jim

Mx:

Savage also made one based on JMB's design, but I don't remember the model number off hand. The weaver polychoke only has one tube (I/C) with it and I haven't found a modified tube for sale yet. I'm not crazy about the look of the weaver choke anyway A few years ago I lucked out and found a brand new 26" barrel for my magnum 20 in a box of assorted barrels at a gun show. Paid $30.00 for it.

Last edited:
As far as I know, Remington made Browning A-5s during WWII when Belgium was occupied, and, according to a former colleague of mine who worked for Remington in those years, none of the parts interchange with a Belgian made gun, with the possible exception of friction rings and few other inconsequential parts.

IIRC, they were sold as "Browning 3 Shots."

I am not expert on these, but as far as I know the wartime Browning Auto 5s produced under license by Remington are exactly like the Belgian guns right down to the magazine cut off, except for the markings. The one time I had to fix one, Belgian Browning parts fit.

WWII Browning A-5/Remington 11 parts commonality

The WWII Browning A-5s made in the USA that I have handled seem to be Remington 11s with a magazine cut-off. The barrels look exactly like a Rem 11 barrel and the internals, except for the magazine cut-off are for all intents and uses, Remington.
To verify parts interchangeability call Art's Gun Shop in Hillsboro, MO (636‑944‑3630) and talk to Nick. I have spent a few hours with him as I was restoring my 3 Model 11s.
S/F Teo

Back