Browning Auto 12g - servicing

Ironbarr

I need full servicing info on this SERNO H9xxx. I want to do a full clean, inspect, and lube. All info appreciated.
Thanks.

-Andy

Decades ago,I inherited a family gun, a Remington Model 11. Same design and patents. Having learned a few things over the course of life, I took it to a gunsmith I trusted. He took the thing apart, cleaned and lubed everything, put in all new springs,calling it the 10,000 round rebuild. Total cost, about $20 then, including the springs, which were for the A-5. Outside of an occasional feeding problem where it would fail to pick up the next round,it worked perfectly, after who knows how many rounds and abuse.

I suggest taking it to a good smith for cleaning and checking out. New springs are cheap insurance, and the smith can explain how to set the friction rings up.

Note, if it's old,and it sounds the same, have the smith check the chamber to see what length it is. Some very old A-5s may have short chambers, like 2 9/16". And, 3 inch chambers are recent additions, so check that out also.

Ironbar, Go to the other thread about stuck firing pin on an Auto 5 (in the smithy section). The A-5 is really not the best of firearms to take apart if you don't know what you are doing. If you have some experience with other shotguns, get the book and screwdriver bits mentioned in the other thread and give it a try. Best of Luck-John K.

Dave & JK

Thank you for your replies. I'll get into the job right after the holidays - right now it's holiday "honey-dos" (which, of course, always seem to come first.:)

Happy holidays to you and yours.

-Andy

Back