Browning Arms!!! Need help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jonathan

Inactive
I inherited a Belgium made browning, everything is factory and I have no information other than what I've posted, if someone can put some input about this it would be much needed.

Last edited:
So all the info you have is it's a Belgium made Browning.

How bout you give us some guesses and pictures.

Is it brown? what kind of sights does it have? how long is it? What caliber do you think it is? Is it a rifle or shotgun?

A Belgium Browning WHAT?

That's about as useful as saying you inherited an American Chevrolet and need info.

Welcome to TFL!

Welcome Jonathan!

Please give us something more to work with, so we can help.

Browning designed guns, and guns with the Browning name on them have been made in Belgium for over a century. Rifles, pistols and shotguns in many different models and calibers.

Without knowing more than its a "Belgian Browning", we can't help.

OK I can tell you everything that can be deduced from your post.

#1 It was made in Belgium.
#2 It was made for the Browning company.
#3 It's a shotgun, a rifle or a pistol.

There-------------------I hope that helped.
HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Right off the Browning website.

Browning firearms have been traditionally made in locations world-wide. John M. Browning's first rifle, the Single Shot, was made in Ogden, Utah. The next guns carrying the Browning name were manufactured in Belgium. This continued for many decades. This was the result of John M. Browning's lasting relationship with Fabrique Nationale, in Herstal, Belgium.

Most Browning guns were made in Belgium by F.N. until the mid '70s when some production was shifted to Miroku in Japan. Today's Browning firearms are made in either Belgium, Portugal, Japan or in the United States.

With some exceptions this is the breakout:

It might not even be a gun. There are many objects with the Browning name on them other than firearms. (The Belgian edition of Casa Guidi Windows, maybe?)

Jim

So I did a google search for "Belgian Browning", then selected images. The overwhelming majority of pictures are of semi-automatic shotguns. So, I'm 90% certain that you have a Browning semi-automatic shotgun made sometime between the time they started making semi-auto shotguns in Belgium and the time they stopped making them in Belgium. There is an 10% (appx) possibility that you have a Belgian Browning Hi Power 9mm, or other pistol, or maybe even a rifle chambered in .270 Winchester, but if you look closely I'm pretty certain you may have a shotgun, or a croquet mallet.

I'll play the game. Here are the hints;

I have this old Browning......

1. I acquired it new in 1973.
2. It is a firearm.
3. It is a Browning.
4. It was made in Belgium.
5. I have been offered ten times what it cost new.
6. I will never sell it.
7. I still shoot it.

Guess what Browning firearm I have! Or ask questions and we will narrow it down.

It is sort of interesting to know that except for a few guns made in Utah and his inventor's models, John Browning never made a firearm. Browning was a free-lance inventor, who sold his designs to any company wanting to use them. Depending on the contracts, he could (and did) sell the same design to different companies. In the main, those companies even prepared the patent applications and obtained the patents in Browning's name.

To add to the confusion, FN early on found that there was magic in the Browning name and, under the original agreement, continued to use the name on guns that Browning had nothing to do with. Even one of the most famous guns to use JMB's name, the Browning High Power, was an incomplete "work in progress" when Browning died; the main part of the design is by Saive.

Jim

Hint: It is not a shotgun. It is stamped Browning. It is stamped Belgium. I would say that FN made it.

This is not connected to the original post, it is just a guessing game on a Browning that I own.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back