Browning and Savage 380

RobertR

I have 2 questions.

1. Does anyone have info on the Browning 380. Specifically disassembly procedures on how to take the barrel out of the slide.

2. On a savage 380 I broke the right plastic grip trying to take it off. Anybody know where to find a new one or a set?

Thanks in advance.

If you're talking about the Browning BDA 380, try this:

1. Remove the magazine and insure there is no chambered round. (common sense, but I have to say it)

2. Press and hold the takedown latch lock button, located on the left side of the frame, forward of the trigger.

3. Turn the takedown latch lever on the right side of the frame down to the vertical position.

4. Remove the slide and barrel forward off the frame.

The rest should be obvious, take out the recoil rod and spring and remove the barrel.

I don't have any sources for grips for the Savage, but I'd try Gun Parts Corp, or perhaps a local gunshow.

Thanks. The Browning is not the newer one. It must be the 1910/22 vintage. Fairly small in size.

The Mag catch is on the bottom and you pull/push it towards the rear to disengage the mag. The safety is the only other lever. I can engage it in the 2nd indention of the slide, rotate the barrel and pull off the entire slide, but can't figure out how to get the barrel out. It has a knurled bushing at the front of the barrel/slide that rotates some but does'nt seem to come out.

Re-assembly of what I could take apart was a real pain. Took some doing. It had a lot of gunk inside so I cleaned it the best I could. Nice little gun though. Looks brand new with no wear.

Thanks on the Savage re-manuf grips. They should work just fine as the gun has a lot of wear and probably does'nt hold a lot of value anyway. Of course, I broke one trying to take them off, so it's a mute point as the original is now busted.

I should add it also has a 1911 type grip safety at the back of the frame that the web of your hand actuates when gripping the gun.

I recommend you reinstall the slide, and turn the barrel back to the locked position. In other words, start all over.

Push in and turn the barrel bushing to unlock it. This releases the recoil spring which is around the barrel. Pull the recoil spring out from the front. Then, turn the barrel to the unlock position and remove the slide from the frame. To remove the barrel, turn it to the lock position and remove it from the slide.

If the gun is the 1922, the drill is the same except that the barrel bushing is longer and has a small lock that has to be pushed forward to let the bushing turn.

When you remove the slide, make sure you don't lose the firing pin spring guide and/or spring. They have a habit of jumping out.

Jim

Back