Browning A5 .. 16ga.

crasha51pan

I have a 16 ga Browning Auto 5 that belonged to my dad, made in 1936. Markings on the gun are:
Barrel: Browning Arms Ogden, Utah
Made in Belguim
Breach: Browning Arms St. Louis, MO
The barrel of the gun has a oval with 16-65 inside.
The barrel has a "Poly Choke Co. Hartford, Conn. Single Turn" choke attached.
SN 105007
Made in 1936

Is there a guess as to value ?

TIA...Mike

Attachments

• Browning 1936.jpg
    Browning 1936.jpg
    244.4 KB · Views: 21
The 65 indicates that the gun has a 2 9/16 inch long chamber and should not be fired with modern 2 3/4 inch shells.

Deduct a percent of value for the Poly-choke, deduct a percent of value(30%) for the 2 9/16 chamber.

The value is that the gun belonged to your dad and it was one of his personal things.

Probably $ 150 - $ 200 in my area..../ +1 on the comments above ...and it hurts the value as well since its a 16ga ( just not that popular anymore ).

If you're looking for an insurance value ....look around for used A-5's in your area and see what the asking price is on them /try and find out what they're selling for locally ....it will vary some by region of the country...
--------
When your dad bought that gun ....the 16 ga had its place because it fired primarily 1 oz loads....and the poly choke was before we had changeable screw in chokes - common on guns for the last 25 yrs or so ..../ and with changeable screw in chokes, guys are buying one gun today ( in 12ga ) that with changeable screw in chokes / and the variety of shells today in 12ga from 1 1/8oz, to 1 oz, to 7/8 oz and even down to 3/4 oz of shot ....that the 12ga, with screw in chokes....does the job that the 16ga and even the 20ga and maybe the 28ga used to do - back in the day....

I still have a bolt action, full choke, 16 ga shotgun ...had it since I was about 10 - got it as a birthday present back in the late 50's.../ used it a lot back in the day...mostly on grouse.

and all this has killed the value of these older guns...in my opinion.

Back