Browning A-Bolt problems--any?

I have 3 Browning A-Bolts. One in 243, a 375 H&H and 22 mag rim fire. Haven't shot any of these much. Just wondering if any of you have, eventually, had problems with your A-Bolt? All I've talked to say they are very accurate.

I hope they don't have any problems. I just bought an A-Bolt and I hope it's as accurate as people say. I suspect if it does have any problems it's no different than any other rifle.

When I shot in a Sporter Rifle league from late middle school through all of high school (50 feet indoor, unsupported standing) I used an A-bolt .22. The common rifles were the Remington 541T and a few lighter Anschutz's but at that range, and with that type of shooting my A-bolt held its own. It is awesomely accurate, and as I am sure you agree, it looks amazing. Never had any problems.

Sometimes though, if I ejected a round too slowly it would fall back inside of the chamber, and since it was all single shot I never had a magazine inserted. On occasion, these rounds would find their way into a gap between the stock and the receiver, and would rattle around until I found a way to get them out (Usually after the match, shaking the rifle until they found their way out)

I have 2 in a 300 win mag and a 270 wsm. Both are excellent shooters and I've never had any problems with them. I don't think I've really ever heard anything bad about the A bolts, other than its very hard to change out barrels on that action. With the number of rifles I have and how I always switch around using guns, I doubt I'll ever shoot out a barrel, so not much of a worry. I just got one of the new X bolt. I've yet to put a scope on it or shoot it, but I hope it's as good as the two A bolts I have.

On a side note, you can find some real good deals on used A bolts. Both of the ones that I have I bought used. Both are excellent shooters. When the X bolt came out, alot of people traded in there A bolts. The two that I got were both on consignment. I picked up one for $650 with a Leupold VXIII 3.5x10x40 and the other for $500 with a VXIII 3.5x10x50.

mysterious misfire

I have had a Browning A Bolt chambered in 25-06 for about 20 years now and have had wonderful luck with it. Most things that I decide to shoot at aren't around much longer. Having plenty of guns to choose from, I still grab this rifle even for weekend drives around northern nevada to shoot any targets of opportunity. The last 2 weekends I have been deer hunting and have had at least 3 of these mysterious misfires. I had my local gun guru take the gun apart and check the bolt and trigger. He cleaned them up good and said to use it. This last weekend I had another misfire. Something clicks when the trigger is pulled but the firing pin doe not release. there are no marks on the primer at all. He said the firing pin was moving plenty far. Greatest gun I have ever owned until now. Any help???

My Dad has an A-bolt .270 that is his only deer rifle. It has been used hard and has the scars to prove it. I don't think you could talk him out that rifle or caliber for anything.

The only negative thing I have ever heard is that the BOSS system, if equipped, works great but is really loud. My Dad's rifle doesn't have a BOSS on it, but a coworker has a 300 mag that will really let you know it's around.

I bought a Stainless Stalker A-Bolt the first year they introduced them, 199?. It is a 300 Winchester Mag and I've used it mostly for elk in Utah and Colorado, with the occational deer hunt mixed in. I have never had any issues to date. The gun is accurate enough, MOA with the right handloads and if I do my part but it is a kicker. When I was younger I was OK with that but I am currently having a "dream" gun built and the A-Bolt is going to be sold as soon as it's ready.

Back