Browning A-Bolt II with B.O.S.S. -- Experiences??

abruzzi

Am considering buying the above in 30.06, SS with synthetic stock, fancy piece of glass on top. To be first hunting rifle -- deer and thereabouts for game. Have looked around a little, but honestly not shot much.

Am considering the BOSS system because it seems, at least theoretically, to eliminate some of the variability associated with changing ammo from on grain to another. 30.06 simply because it's the most likely ammo to be found in any general store in Mugwump, Ark. or wherever. SS and synthetic so I won't worry about dinging the furniture. Also, this thing is very carriable, seems to be half the weight of a friend's Weatherby Vanguard in 270 Win.

I am looking at $650 for the gun, and a Leupold will run 300 +/-. It's certainly no steal, but it seems like a pretty high quality package for just under a grand.

Anybody experience the BOSS system -- positively or negatively. Any other thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks.

I've read many reviews on the BOSS system, and have spoken to several owners of them, and while the degree of their impression varies, they all say the same thing: it works. I'm pretty sold on them, but it's just down the line of "wants".

I would get the "NR" version, which is the BOSS accuracy tool, but has no muzzle break on it. Less blast.

I have a Browning Safari II BAR with the BOSS. Chambered in .300 Winchester Magnum. Shooting from a rest I have put a three shot group in the exact center of the bullseye with all three shots touching. Range was 100 yds. Recoil is moderate. Blast is excessive and takes a bit of getting used to on the range. When I'm shooting at a deer I don't notice. I've dropped deer at 250 and 300 yards with this rifle.

I have a Browning in 30-06 with the Boss system. The Boss system works, and I like it for cal. 30 and above. I like the muzzle break at the range, but for hunting I prefer to switch to the "CR" attachment (conventional recoil, which your dealer can order for you at small cost and which reduces noise blast). When using reloads, the 30-06 can be loaded down to varmints and loaded up to black bear--it can do the job of several rifles. Also, if you are reloading for one cal. only, your cost to begin reloading is minimized as you can use the basic equipment. It is hard to beat the versatility you have from a 30-06 and a basic reloading press (not to mention the fun you will have finding the "sweet spot" on the Boss for each of your loads.) A grand plus a reloading press isn't so much compared to 5 or six rifles and scopes.

I had a Stainless Stalker A-bolt II with BOSS in .300 Winchester Mag for about a year or so. The only reason I traded it off was the 300 yard range I used was closed down, so I couldn't enjoy it as much (seeing how fast you can whack a couple of bowling pins at 300 yards with a bolt action .300 mag is fun).

I did manage to hit on some loads that would hit in the 1 MOA or less range for bullet weights of 125(Nosler Ballistic Tip) through 180 grains. Considering I didn't have a chance to play with it very long, maybe six trips to the range, I thought it did very well to do that. I might have managed to crack 3/4 MOA a time or two. I know I was pushing 1/2 with 168 Sierra MatchKings.

The BOSS does work. Both at recoil reduction and accuracy enhancement. The first one I shot was somebody else's .338 Mag. Being of average size at best, I thought it would kill me shooting it off the bench. It wasn't too bad at all. I wanted a BOSS myself after that experience. I bet the 30-06 you're after would be sweet.

Accuracywise, I tried four or five settings with each bullet weight, and you could open up, or shrink the group by turning that thing. Reminded me of zooming a scope in and out. I found with some bullets, you could find a couple of good settings- one screwed pretty far in, and one farther out. This is how I found a setting that seemed optimum for both 125 and 165 grain bullets. Maybe with some more effort I could've found a setting that would do fine with say, 150 and 180 grainers, which would be ideal. The mythical universal lower 48 rifle?

Ah, the noise. Yep, it's there. If you think it's bad for the shooter, stand about two feet on either side of him. That .338 felt like someone shot a garden hose up my nose, my sinuses shook so much.

Back