Browning A bolt 325 wsm?

troopcom

A friend of mine wants to get rid of his .325 wsm browning A bolt. He said he only shot it a few times and the bore looks new. We haven't discussed a price, but I am really interested in it. The only thing that concerns me is the barrel looks really thin and its a really light rifle. Looks like if I shot it about ten times the barrel would warp because its so thin. Are the thin browning barrels any good? Are they accurate?

I'd have no problem with the barrel. I'm not a big Browning fan however. In general I like the WSM chamberings, but the 325 is all but dead. Unless you handload ammo supply in the future is bleak. It is a round with no real purpose. A 300 WSM will do anything the 325 will do plus a lot more, and be cheaper and easier to find ammo for it.

Are the thin browning barrels any good? Are they accurate?

I have an A-Bolt in 300 Winchester Mag and a friend has one in 7mm Remington Mag, both shoot MOA with the right loads. The barrel does heat up pretty fast but it also cools faster than thicker barrels.

jmr40 quoted:
A 300 WSM will do anything the 325 will do plus a lot more, and be cheaper and easier to find ammo for it.

I thought about it for an elk or moose rifle. I don't think it would be gentle enough on the shoulder to shoot for fun, but I could have a brake put on it. If that is true that the 300 wsm will do the same job better then I think I will pass on it.

8mm is a great bore size. Don't listen to all of the hype about the .300 being "just as good". It's close, but not the same.

I kick myself all the time for not snatching up one of the deeply-discounted .325 WSMs when those models were discontinued. Out of all of the WSM chamberings, it is the only one that makes any sense. The rest were marketing gimmicks that didn't live up to their expectations, but .325 WSM was an actual advancement in cartridge design for the 8mm family. (Consider it a modern 8mm Rem Mag, but in a more efficient and compact package.)

If you reload, snap it up. Buy enough brass to last yourself 10 years, and you'll be set. In the future, you can just buy .300 WSM brass and neck it up.

If you don't reload, stay FAR away; unless the price is low enough to justify a rebarrel to something that will fit in that action.

Don't worry about the barrel. It's meant to be a hunting rifle that sees 3-shot strings between cooling breaks; not a rifle that sees back-to-back 30-shot strings in competitions.

8mm - .323 is a very underrated bore size, it hits like a .338 or .35 bullet without the recoil, with bullet weights from 150grns up to 220grns.
Get some dies and have at it !! I would love a .325 WSM, short action, short rifle, major power!!

I've had two 300WSM build plus one 270WSM and draw back on the WSM is your limited to a short magazine length which effect seating depth with some of the longer heavier bullets.

Reason the 300WSM is better "bullet selection". Don't get me wrong I did look at the 325WSM for a build same as I did the 7WSM may do that on a long action.

300WSM is proving to be a good match case

http://www.pa1000yard.com/results/r...4&sortby=Group&showshoots=No&tops=No&topct=10

I own a .325 WSM. Factory ammo is expensive and hard to find, but it is still being produced by Winchester Ammunition. I reload and data for it is scarce, but it is out there. I like my rifle, it is very accurate, and has that "wow" factor because not many are around.

Mine is a Savage, and shoots MOA. It likes the Sierra 220 gr Gameking bullet over Reloder 22 powder.

Buy it if you can afford it. Odd calibers have a way of becoming curiosities in the future!

Mine is a Savage, and shoots MOA. It likes the Sierra 220 gr Gameking bullet over Reloder 22 powder.
An excellent choice. That is one of the few 8mm projectiles that can not only handle it, but was designed for the velocities .325 WSM can achieve. (8mm Rem Mag hold out. ;))

No experience with any WSM, but my A-Bolt SS with the 26" barrel in .300 Win. Mag is a superb elk (and bear) rifle. Very, very accurate at 400+ yards.

Thanks guys. I don't reload at this time so I think I will pass for now. I appreciate your input and opinions.
One more question though. I also saw a 7mm wsm on sale at a local gunshop. It was a Winchester Model 70 and had a little exterior rust on it, but the bore looked great. I think it would clean up, however I was told that 7mm wsm was all but dead and it has it's own case size that is different from the 300 and 325. Is this so, and if so why did Winchester do this?

hey troop! If you are not going to reload, I would stick with the most popular rounds like the 30-06, 308, 7mm Rem mag or 270 to name a few; ammo availability is good and plenty of options of loadings.

325 wsm

I own two 325wsm one a nosler trophy grade and the other a kimber montana, this cartridge is far from dead ,many shooters on the alaska forum are ranting about its performance. I too concur, both my rifles are tack drivers and will kill anything on the North American continent. yes ammo can be expensive for any of the magnums ,seriously how many rounds will you shoot in your lifetime?

8mm is a great bore size. Don't listen to all of the hype about the .300 being "just as good". It's close, but not the same.

It is not hype, there have been several very detailed tests conducted. While none specifically compared the 325 they did side by side test 35 Whelen, 338-06, 350 rem mag., 338 win mag, 300 win mag, 45-70 and 30-06 among others. At least 2 different gunwriters as well as the Alaska game and fish dept all reached the same conclusion. A 200-220 gr bullet fired from a 30-06 or 300 mag out performed them all on large game, including brown bear. Their conclusion is that for larger game you have to move up to 375 mag over 30-06 to see any performace gains.

I have a link to the Alaska study. Gunwriters Phil Shoemaker and Finn Aagard have conducted almost identical tests with the same conclusons.

http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr152

If the .325 WSM wasn't tested, how does the testing "prove" that it is inferior?

That's like saying I lost the Indy 500, because I was sleeping in my bed. How can I lose a contest I am not even competing in? :eek::confused:

And, I wanted to add separately....

That AK Forest Service study was a study in short range performance.
Their test distance was 15 yards - hardly a distance most people will be using a .325 WSM at.

In addition, this is what they have to say about the .300 magnums, in that article:
None of the small-caliber magnum
cartridges can be considered good
selections for protection from bears at
short range because of the excessive
fragmentation of bullets.

Hmmm... Definitely an endorsement. :rolleyes:

325 update

Just came across this thread and thought I would throw in my thoughts on the 325. I own the Montana 8400 scoped with the Leupy 2.5-8x36 B&C. bolted on with Talley one piecers. All up with Ching sling this rifle comes in at 7 lbs and a couple of ounces. One simply cannot argue with the fact that a cartridge that has a higher expansion ratio will push any given bullet faster with the same amount of powder, (or less), than a cartridge with a lower expansion ratio. Look at the 35 Whelen vs its parent, the 30'06. The Whelen will throw a 180 grain bullet substantially faster than the '06 using comparable amounts of powder. Some will cry "B.C., B.C., the 30 cal bullet has the higher B.C.", in the "real" world, and not the internet fantasyland many live in, the difference is nil between the two calibers for any given bullet weight.
The 300 "may" be more "versatile in one sense, and that would be the huge variety of bullets available in the .308 caliber. But to say that the 300 WSM is superior to the 325 as a large game round is simply not true. The 300 WSM is a great round, but in reality, it is the one of these two that doesn't fill any new niches, except that it lends itself to being chambered in lighter guns than the old standby 30 cal magnums. The 325 WSM OTOH, breathes new life into the field of choices for anyone desiring to use an 8mm bullet on game. And when the sun sets on the meadow at 10,000 ft. the bullet with the larger diameter, all else being equal, is going to kill better.
I bought my 325 for one purpose, I wanted a lightweight high country elk gun, and my Montana with its 24" barrel kicks 200 grainers out at 3000 fps. No holdovers out to 400 yards with the B&C reticle, serious thump on the far end, not too much on mine, and feels like i have the wings of pegasus on my back as I negotiate the rarified air of yonder mountains.

An aside, I've had a hard copy of that old FS study for about 30 years. IOW, it's Really old.
The ammo selections that were used??? Springfield Trapdoor 45-70 loads?? Too bad Randy Garret's bullets weren't available for the study, or Beartooth's Pile Driver's.Different results?

What is the old saw? Garbage in, garbage out?

Last edited:
Back