browning A-Bolt 30-06, boss or no boss?

smokin' barrels

I'm in the market for a quality rifle, I have been looking at Browning's A-bolt for a long time now and is it worth it to spend the extra money for the boss system or have a normal barrel?

Depends on what you want to do with it.

Target shoot with one round that you can tune it to, then the BOSS can help.

A lot of varied shooting and you want good accuracy across the board, then no.

I've always called my deal of free-floating the barrel and inserting a low-pressure shim at the forend tip a "Poor man's BOSS". :D Has the same effect, and to me the BOSS is unattractive. (Yeah, the BOSS works, but my deal is right at free.)

I'd pay more for a Browning without the BOSS than one with it. All my buddies that had a rifle with the BOSS had them cut off.

I'd pay more for a Browning without the BOSS than one with it. All my buddies that had a rifle with the BOSS had them cut off.

My experience as well. The used rifles with BOSS sell for about $100 less. So buyers can afford to pay a gunsmith to get rid of it.

My experience as well. The used rifles with BOSS sell for about $100 less. So buyers can afford to pay a gunsmith to get rid of it.
I don't understand that. How is cutting it of better than just removing BOSS if that's your preference and leaving end of barrel threaded?

I don't understand that. How is cutting it of better than just removing BOSS and leaving end of barrel threaded?

It is cheaper to cut the threads for the BOSS off and recrown the barrel and do some touch up bluing than it is to have a thread protector made and blued to match. That is unless you have a stainless model then you don't have to worry about the bluing.

Aesthetics aside, you need to take a long look at how you intend to use the rifle. Getting the BOSS system to work properly requires a fair amount of work and ammo to dial it in. If you plan to shoot one load all the time and need every last fraction of an inch in accuracy it's worth considering. Unless you shoot by yourself and wear hearing protection all the time, get the CR (no muzzle brake) version.

If you want a rifle to shoot everything from woodchucks to moose and plan on using a lot of different loads, get the plain version.

Some years ago a buddy had 338 Win Mag A-bolt with the Boss on it. It was loud, obnoxious and ugly but very accurate and the recoil was minimal, it seemed like I was shooting an 06. I personally wouldn't want one on any of my rifles but it's your rifle not mine.

Boss but!

I had a Browning 7mm Rem Mag with BOSS and was able to get sub MOA with hand loads from 110 gr to 180 gr bullets but it took a lot of work . Just record the BOSS setting and the load then just remember to change the BOSS when changing loads .You need to check the BOSS to make sure vibration and such does not change the setting after a trip or such. I liked the gun but the replacement does not have the BOSS just too much work .I forgot to mention that every one at the shooting range complained about the noise to the sides of where I was shooting . I understand in Africa the guides will not allow the use of it due to hearing damage , though I never ran into this in the US or Canada myself. I can attest without hearing protection while hunting after a single shot , I noted my hearing was decreased and the ringing in my ears was much worse for a while

As having shot several Brownings with a BOSS I'd say they work but you have to deal with the added noise. Now if you want the ability to tune your gun to the ammo and don't want the noise you can always add the CR (conventional recoil) adapter.

Don't forget gents there are un-ported BOSS'S as well out there. All the accuracy of the ported BOSS with all the recoil but less noise. Most of them are ported but every once in awhile you'll run across a Winchester or Browning BOSS without the ports.

I have the BOSS system on my BAR 308 win. It's loud for sure but I bought it for $525 brand new, right after they came out. I believe 17 years ago give or take a year. Love it, shoots great and once it is dialed in, the accuracy will improve. Recoil is deminished to the degree that I wished I had bought a 300 win mag.

thats why I hunt with electronic ear muffs, they deaden the noise at point firing. And they help me hear in the woods better. Now wish I had bought a pair 30 years ago :eek:

Back