Browning A-Bolt 25WSSM

It was a neat idea to have a short, light rifle with a capable deer/antelope cartridge. Unfortunately, it arrived just as the U.S. Repeating Arms incarnation of Winchester collapsed and the cartridge is slated for the scrap heap. Nobody makes rifles for it anymore and if you have one, stock up on brass now while you still can.

A Browning A-bolt on a Super Short action is a very handy gun. They build .223s and .204 Rugers on them as well. I have a .204 Ruger and it is perhaps the handiest gun I own. I recommend the rifle if not the cartridge.

If you reload, the .25 WSSM would be a pretty neat cartridge.

SR

Good rifle, good cartridge for hunting deer sized game and smaller. If you handload. If you don't handload I'd recommend something a bit more common, like 257 Roberts or 25-06 if you want a good quarter bore.

Jimro

The WSM and WSSM cartridges have a lot going for them in theory. Just not enough interest in most of them. The 300 and 270 WSM's are the only 2 that are going to stick around.

I know Olympic Arms is still making ARs in the .25WSSM, and I recall hearing that another was building them as well, but can't remember the name.

Amazingly, I still see ammo routinely for it at Bass Pro.

The .25 WSSM is a great rifle if you can find one available. The WSSM's are now all orphaned, but commercial ammo is still being made.
They are mild on recoil, accurate, and give you .25-06 performance in a rifle shorter and lighter than the full 06.
Great for Female shooters or Youth shooters.

Interesting. Today's rooster, tomorrow's feather duster. Meanwhile, the oldies but goodies - longer and thinner - soldier on...

Thanks to all for your opinions on the rifle and cartridge.
I really have no need for the rifle and certainly don't need another one to handload for, so I passed on taking the rifle on trade.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com

Back