Browning A-5 Light twelve

duckman88

Inactive
I've Had this A-5 since I was 12 (5 years ago) and I am wondering if I should sell it or hold on to it. I try not to hunt with it but I really enjoy using it in the dove field. It has all of its blueing and no scratches in the stock except for very fine vertical cracks in the gloss of the stock. It is a belgum made light twelve with a 29 inch full choked barrel. If I don't sell it how should I store it? It stays in my closet now with the bolt open. thanks

Buy a "Sack-Up" from Cabellas and store it in that. A sack-up is a silicone treated sock. Close the bolt on the firearm and insert it into the sack-up and store in the closet. Be sure to wipe down firearm with oil before storage.

To me, thanks a "keeper"

These are fine guns, and signicant as a John Browning design. It sounds like its in excellent condition (the stock could be easily refinished to "like new"). The "Sack-up" is a good idea, but if you just keep it clean and oiled up, in a nice, dry place that should be sufficient as well. Don't keep the bolt open though...May or may not weaken the spring (opinions vary), but safer to keep closed, also keep dust and such out of the action. Learn to clean it properly, and do so every few months, if you don't shoot it. Otherwise clean an oil it well after each shooting.

Back