Browning A-5 and Winchester 1894 age and value questions

thebeebe5

Inactive
I’m hopeful that someone can help me date and estimate value for two firearms. A neighbor has decided to sell two if his collection and I’m hoping someone can help me figure the age and a reasonable offer to extend to him.

The first, a Browning A-5 12 gauge light is in good condition. It bears serial #4G38426 which I believe indicates a 1964 year model per the Browning web site. Is this correct? The wood is in good condition and some blue has been worn off the receiver area where his cheek rested during firing I am guessing? The choke is “modified”. What would a reasonable offer be for this gun?

The second, a Winchester model 94 is in similar condition. It has a plain stock and bears serial #2939202. It is a 30-30 caliber with 20” barrel. I can't find date info on the Winchester site or anywhere else for that matter.

Can anyone shed any light for me? I’d like to buy them since they are available. Grandpa had the same model Winchester when I was a kid, and I’d love to have one of my own. I’ve attached a couple of pictures hoping they will help.

Attachments

• A-5 and 1894.jpg
    A-5 and 1894.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 94
  • receiver.jpg
    receiver.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 55
Last edited:
Your A5 is in very good condition. It shows wear typical of A5s that have been handled a bit. The rear corners of the receiver got a lot of wear just because of the sharp corners. In that condition you may be able to get top dollar for the A5. They are typically selling for $350-$500, but you may get a premium for that clean of one. If you are going to sell it, I would recommend an auction on Auction Arms and see what you get for it.

The 94 is very clean. It does not appear to be a Model 1894 (it would be so marked on the tang right behind the hammer), but rather looks like a very clean Model 94. Sounds like the same thing, but not to collectors. Right now these are very desirable. Again, if you are looking to sell it, I would recommend Auction Arms due to collector interest for those rifles.

Thanks for the input. It is in fact a model 94. Again, if anyone could possibly help with manufacture dates that would be great. I could track some auctions of similar vintage/condition guns to see what they are selling for so I don't insult a friend with a ridiculous offer.

AFAIK, the Browning dates from 1957, and the Winchester from 1965.

The M-94 can easily be verified as a post-64 with a quick peek down at the top of the shell lifter/carrier from above with the bolt open/lever down.

Pre-64's carrier's are machined, post-64 to 1971 carrier's are stamped sheet metal, and the post-71's are castings, with a mold seam running lengthwise down it's center.

Back