Browning A-5 3 shot 20 ga.

keejo88

Inactive
I wanted to find out how rare these guns are? It was made in or assembled in St.Louis,Mo. but has elg stamp on it,best I can tell it looks like it was made during WWII because of the c in the serial number. Thanks Keejo

Doesn't the elg stamp indicate a Belgian Browning. Actually being a proof mark indicating proved in conformity with the German Proof Law of 1891. A capital E above a capital L and G all inside an oval with a crown at its top. Google "sauerfan" and "Timeline for the Browning Auto 5". If it says made or assembled in St. Louis, would that indicate that the barrel was Belgian or simply that the gun made in St Louis conformed withe the German Proof Law?

Last edited:
Guns made in the US do not carry proof marks as there is no central proof house. The ELG is a Belgian proof mark and when on the barrels mean the barrels met proof testing in Belgium

Does it actually SAY MADE in St. Louis, or does it just have Browning and the St. Louis address on it. Browning spent a lot of time HQ'd there before Utah.

A-5 3shot 20ga.

The serial # c8624 I think,the serial# is on the receiver. This gun does not have the elg stamp on it and just says Browning St. Louis Mo. on the barrel. I have looking at to many guns lately and getting a little confused. Thanks Keejo

Last edited:
Back