Browning 78 Single Shot Rifles

Rocky Road

Retired Screen Name
Old friend asked me to help him with a problem the other day and I am now foster perent to not one, but TWO Browning 78 rifles, in .22-250 and .30-06. Haven't had a chance to shoot either yet.

Friend says he'd bitterly disappointed in the accuracy, thinking he ought to be able to better two inches with the .22-250 and three inches with the '06. He knows I like to tinker with load development, and he's capable of shooting well with his other rifles.

I know there are a whole bag o' tricks to tuning the Ruger Number 1 single shot--something to do with the fore end mostly. I thought before I started burning ammo, I'd check with this well of information and see if any of you-all have any tips about the B-78, before I get started.

I have a good deal of background with the .30-06 ctg and some definite ideas about starting loads with it. I'd appreciate suggestions about the .22-250, though--I'm totally lacking in knowledge thereof.

Thanks in advance.

------------------
---The Second Amendment ensures the rest of the Bill of Rights---

Rocky. See if you can find a copy of Frank de Haas's book MR. SINGLE SHOT'S GUNSMITHING IDEA BOOK. He has a whole chapter devoted to the Browning 78, including accurizing.
My copy came from :TAB BOOKS Inc.
Blue Ridge Summit, PA
Like the Ruger #1's, most of the accuracy problems stem from the foreend. I don't think there would be too much difference between the Browning 78's and 85's foreend set up.
Paul B.

Back