Browning 44-Mag Lever Gun

CleanCut

Hi:
Nice looking rifle, made by Miroku. At the range,though, I noticed accuracy problems at 100 yards. In the first 4 shots, I got it to hit the 10" circle, but after that, it wouldn't even hit the paper. Firing rate was 1 shot every 5-10 seconds. I was alternatively shooting with another gun with simular recoil and sighting and was very accurate (.223). Rifle was held steady on a sandbag. I was using 240grn SWC generic ammo. Does anyone have advice on how to make this gun a shooter? Is it OK to use 44 Special ammo?
Thanks

Any time a rifle is shooting decent and then stops suddenly, check the sights. Something is probably coming loose. Those Browning B-92's are great rifles, I had one in .357 mag and liked it a lot. I could use .38 spl in mine, so most likely you can use .44 spl in yours. Hope this helps.

Thanks, Artech. I did do that. The sights were all tight. Actually, I have a side mount with Leupold 1 X 4 mounted to it. It was still zeroed to the same spot as the manual sight as when I sighted it at 50 yrds originally. Was thinking of maybe a peep sight. I was kind of hoping for more tactical accuracy from this rifle. Am I expecting too much? Chuck Taylor wrote an article about using a scoped Marlin for accuracy. Maybe I've got just a good cowboy rifle.

100 yards is kinda pushing it for the 44. I'd get it shooting fine at 50 yards and then try tweaking it with handloads, heavy bullet factory loads, and maybe some judicious gunsmithing.Shoot it with and w/o the scope just to see if there's the problem.

While the 44 Specials MAY work,IMO the lower velocity would exascerbate the problem.

Appreciate the assistance. Factory ammo's the next step. Just gave the gun a good cleaning last night. I'll try to get out there tomorrow and let it rip again.

CleanCut

I think you may have hit on it in your first post. 240gr SWC generic ammo.
Assuming they were cast lead, you could have simply leaded up the bore. Naturally, accuracy would have gone to pot just as soon as this happens.
Check your bore...

------------------
Regards, Sharps.

Finally had time to take the 44 out. :cool: A good cleaning and factory ammo did the trick ( the scope was tight). Great gun. Enjoy the light feel of a carbine. Boy, that factory ammo packs a good wallup! Groups tightened up too. Just kept shooting, adjusting the scope. Anyone know what the energy level is at 100 yards for a 44 Mag rifle? It sure looked like downrange energy to me. Anyhow, I really enjoy the rifle now. Thanks.

Wal-Mart sells the UMC 180 grain loads in 50 round boxes for about $18 dollars. I bought a box thinking that they would be a nice light load for my M29. Recoil was reasonable but the ball of fire and muzzle blast has to be seen to be believed. Ran some across a chronograph (Ohler 35) with my Marlin 1894 and recorded 2200 FPS. Accuracy was good in my rifle. Might want to try some for a HD rifle.

Giz

I've noticed that my 1894 Marlin prefers higher velocity loads for best accuracy.
Hey Cleancut, you started cleaning that thing on February 4th and didn't finish until March 15th. It was either awful dirty or that was one hell of a cleaning. :)

------------------
Gunslinger

We live in a time in which attitudes and deeds once respected as courageous and honorable are now scorned as being antiquated and subversive.

Thanks, I'll have to try those loads. My gun seems to prefer the heavier ammo. I tested Winchester 240 Grn SP and PMC 180 Grn HP. Winchester won hands down. It was just a matter of dialing in the scope. Actually, I did in fact clean the gun twice. :) You're pretty observant.

Back