Browning '3-shot' ???

Bojake

Inactive
I have a Browning 12 gauge '3-shot' (emblazed on the forearm underside) that was my late grandfathers. He was a gunsmith many years ago. The serial # is B8xxx, which I believe the 'B' means it was one of the Remington made models of the 1930's or 40's, correct? I can not find any more info on this model. Could you possibly enlighten me as to the history and value of this beautiful gun? It has the 'humpback' receiver and long smooth barrel. Thank you for any help you may have to offer.

Other will correct me if I'm wrong but it sounds like you have an older Auto 5. Don't know anything of the B. The "3-shot' most likely refers to the number of rounds the shotgun holds.
If others don't chime in, I'll try to get to my reference books and see what I can dig up.

Other markings on barrel, receiver, even buttplate?

A "B" prefix indicates a 12 gauge "American Browning" made by Remington while FN was held by the Germans and until they could resume commercial production. But Blue Book says serial numbers started at 229,000 and an 8000 number doesn't fit their scheme.

I found one bare mention of the existence of an American Browning Three Shot in an old Gun Trader's Guide. It is apparently the Browning trademarked version of the Remington Model 11 Sportsman which had a two shot magazine and a funny bevel to the end of the foreeend.

Wish I could find more to tell you.

Back