Browning .22 Trombone

Dut822

Inactive
Hey Everyone,
I have this gun and can't find much on it.
I took it into a local gun shop and they said they have never seen one and that they would have to do research on it. They knew it was a Browning .22 Trombone and was made in Belgium but didn't know much more than that.

Just seeing what you all know.

I think it was made around the time the patient was done but I am unsure.
The groves on the pump are less numbered than any other ones I've seen for sale.
There are 9 groves on it rather than the newer ones I've seen with 15.

Just trying to find out more information about the gun and how much it might be worth. It fires like a dream and is great working condition.

Any information is appreciated.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 165
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    42.8 KB · Views: 115
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 102
I don't believe these were ever offered for sale in the U.S. Perhaps a Browning collector can shed more light on that.

Unfortunately, some moron has drilled the receiver full of holes for some kind of scope mount.

Here is what Wikipedia says about it: "The FN Browning Trombone is a pump-action long takedown rifle designed by John M. Browning in 1919, patented on 1 August 1922 and manufactured by Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal Belgium from 1922 to 1974. Models manufactured post 1969 had a product code W.

The rifle has a .22 calibre chamber, a tubular 11-round magazine, 24-inch round barrel, wooden semi-pistol grip stock. Models made in the late 1960s featured a dovetail notch for mounting scopes.

The stocks of early models were susceptible to cracking, sometimes attributed to the shape of the receiver; later models, such as the dovetail scope variant, appeared to solve this problem. The pump grip of all models is susceptible to cracking, the wood between the magazine and barrel being especially thin, this rarely detected unless the rifle is disassembled.

In the U.S., where only Colt-manufactured Browning designs are sold due to the FN/Colt regional exclusivity agreement, the rifle is rare."

I believe you are correct that they were not sold in the US. In the stock there is a piece of paper in the stock that had a Name and a town in Ontario Canada called Beamsville which is not far from my hometown in NY. I am unsure how my Grandpa got the gun.

I've seen a few of them sell online. Generally, they're in very poor condition, but still bring in $200-250.

Not long ago, I saw a badly fire-damaged and incomplete example sell for over $300. :rolleyes:

I've never really looked into them, other than to check parts availability ... which wasn't good.

Back