Browning 1911-380 vs S&W Shield EZ

Siggy-06

I'm considering adding another .380 to my collection, as I keep .380 around for my LCP. Wanted something a bit bigger and more comfortable to shoot, and possible conceal carry from time to time. Looked at the Shield 380 EZ from S&W, fininding them for around $300ish online, and the Browning 1911-380 black label, around $440 and up. Also want to get the girlfriend more comfortable shooting larger calibers than .22's.

Which would you recommend over the other?

For me the biggest issue would be the difference in carry modes, cocked and locked with manual safety (Browning) versus partially cocked striker with "automatic" safeties (Shield).

@Sigmund06: I think it's a toss-up. Both the browning and smith have polymer frames, similar sights, weigh about the same (17-18 oz), and fire from a locked breech. If you like the aesthetics of a 1911, then go with the browning.

However, the Smith & Wesson 380 EZ does have some advantages. The slide on the .380 EZ is what the name implies: easy to rack and the magazine seems easier to load. I got the smith for my wife because she has trouble with stiffer slides. The .380EZ comes in either a manual safety, or no manual safety version. Some feel that the grip safety is enough. Personally, and it's just me, I feel more comfortable with a manual safety on a hammer fired, single action gun, particularly when a less experienced shooter is involved. The trigger on the 380 EZ reminds me of a two stage, bolt action military trigger. There's a long effortless take up on the EZ, and then you hit the firm let-off stage. Not hard to figure out with some practice. Also on the smith: the magazine release sticks out pretty far. Many users have reported accidentally bumping the magazine release and dumping the magazine. It hasn't happened to me (yet), but it's something to note.

@lee n field in Mordor: One brass cartridge to bind them all!

The .380 Shield EZ is hammer fired.

You're right, I missed that. I also missed that the Shield is available with or without a manual safety. So both the Browning and Shield are fully cocked after the slide is cycled. For the Shield it might come down to whether you are fine with just a grip safety, or would prefer a manual safety as well. Given their essentially always fully cocked nature, you might also consider whether the Browning and Shield have firing pin block safeties (I don't know).

How is Browning's customer service/warranty center?
Snotty.

I own a Browning 1911-380 Compact (or Commander), and a friend has the "full size" version. They're nice pistols and they shoot well. They have a magazine disconnect, which cannot be defeated by removing a simple part. Disabling it requires performing surgery on either the trigger or the magazine catch. Want to buy a replacement part so you can have the option of restoring the magazine disconnect? Sorry -- Browning won't sell you the part, they require that you send the pistol to them and they will install the new part. I'd give you odds that they won't return your modified part.

Magazines are obscenely overpriced.

It's a nice pistol, but grotesquely overpriced, especially considering that the receiver is polymer.

I know nothing about the Shield, so I'm sorry I can't offer any direct comparisons.

I have the Smith with manual safety and a RIA Baby Rock (I know it is not a Browning) and prefer the Smith over the RIA. This is from someone who swore off S&W after owning a SW9VE.

My wife is hand strength challenged and has no issues with the Smith. It has been flawless and quite accurate.

The Browning while it has the polymer frame is a great gun. If one wants an alloy frame the Baby Rock by RIA is worth looking into. It seems to be a modern clone of the old Llama.

Last edited:
@m&p45acp: I thought the browning had an aluminum alloy frame, too, but apparently no longer. I visited the browning web site before posting, just to verify the browning's weight. My comprehension skills aren't what they used to be, but it appears, from the browning web site, that all the NEW 1911-380 models have a polyer frame. Double check me, but I think they're now plastic.

hammie said:
@m&p45acp: I thought the browning had an aluminum alloy frame, too, but apparently no longer.
The original Browning 1911-22 had an alloy frame (and slide) ... and still does. Then they came out with the "Black Label" models, which have polymer frames. Those are the models they're pushing.

The 1911-380s are all built on the polymer Black Label frame.

I have the Browning and the RIA like them both. If I had to pick would go with the Browning. Both have function flawless just like the feel of the Browning more.

My Browning is a .22 compact, I have shot the 380 also, I really like the 1911 feel (in miniature) however my EZ 380 beats the pants off the Browning. The EZ is a smaller combat pistol that has easily operated functions, is reliable and points beautifully coming back for a second rapid shot. Magazines are cheap and the pistol is reasonably priced for the package you get.

Back