browning 12 gauge

swaffar

Inactive
I'm looking for some information on a browning (belgian made)12-gauge auto-5 light. Is this a suitable field gun for pheasant and quail? Are there any obvious disadvatages to the gun? What is a reasonable price for a used gun in good condition? Are there other comparable guns? Please help.

As Dave said, it is a great gun. Prices on them can have a pretty good spread depending on condition and how many are available in the area, (some places you almost never see a used one in a store, others will have a bunch.) $300 is about the lowest I've seen any model Browning (Auto-5, A-500 light or mag, Belg. or Jap) even ones that are absolutely beat to hell, with no finish and the barrel chopped down to mount either a
Cutt's Compensator or other old multi-choke twist things (ugly as sin). Beyond that, they will go as high as the dealer thinks he can get. I did spot an A500 mag in a shop the other day, excellent shape, about 95% for $425, best price I've seen on one in a long time.
Bergie

I agree that a Browning A-5 is an excellent field gun. With proper care it will last forever. However, the prices have gone out of sight which drives up the used market. I bought my first one (with my own money) when I was 14 and used it for a number of years before selling it (I was in college and broke). I would say that you can get a Remington light 1100 in 12 gauge with Remchokes for a lot less on the used market and they are excellent guns and a lot lighter to carry around the field. Even as a husky teenager, that A-5 got heavy after a few hours in the field.

Back