Brownell's teflon/moly coating FAQ's

nedfig

Brownell's suggests bead blasting the surface before application. I assume this is to rough up the surface for adherence purposes, correct. Is this necessary? Will a circular motion with 80-200 grit paper be enough? Will the coating smooth out any swirls in the surface? Some experienced pointers would be appreciated.

I'm thinking of doing my Wingmaster in O.D. Green with wood stocks.

Nedfig, it really doesn't matter what you do to the surface. The teflon will coat anything. I have seen very good results from folks who did absolutely nothing but degrease and apply it. The only rule I've found that really applies is to make sure that there is no rust present prior to application. The finish is rust proof but if there is rust beneath it, it will continue to rust. George

Moly Cote

is a fairly easy process and its pretty simple to get a good job. George has done far more firearms then myself, but the 4 I've done have turned out real good. I bead blast mine, (cause I have a bead blaster) and find that the finish adheres better cause the dimples give it more surface area. Its important, if bead blasting to remove the blue or other finish as best you can BEFORE you blast them. I just polish it off. I dont know why, but the finish seems more uniform if you take this step. Maybe George could respond as to why this is, or if he has seen this in any of his finishes. It's also VERY important to get the parts just below HOT to the touch before you spray the Moly Cote on them. BTW the stuff sprays like #$*@ !! Pop the parts in the oven and bake away. I like to make sure the "little woman" is at bingo or otherwise deployed while the baking is taking place. Makes for much better harmony in the household :)

Good Luck

WCG

[Edited by westcangunner on 12-06-2000 at 05:05 PM]

Back