Brownells Oxpho-Blue

Sisco

I was wondering if this stuff works as good as the ad says, I'm sure it won't work as well as traditional blueing. I've got a Turk Mauser that needs dressed up and really isn't worth the cost of having a smith do it. The Mauser in question has most of the blueing intact, only the part of the barrel not covered by wood is bare. I see it comes in 4 & 8 oz bottles, how much does one need?

A 4 oz. bottle will last a long time. I have used the steel wool method and it works well. Be sure and degrease first. Denatured alcohol solvent is the best degreaser I've found. BrakeKleen works too.

[This message has been edited by sensop (edited April 11, 2000).]

Yes, it really does work that well. I've been using it for 10+ years now, and rarely have any use for anything else. It's perfect for your Turk, and no, you don't really need to remove the old bluing; just degrease the area well, and maybe scuff it a bit with Scotch Brite, or steel wool to remove any rust. My friend's German K98 Mauser was in about the same condition as your Turk, and came back better than it should have! You just keep re-applying, and carding with steel woll between applications until you reach the darkness you want. It's great stuff. Take Care- Dakotan

Ditto, you don't need to remove the old blueing. Just concentrate on the area that needs it the most. It won't be perfect, but it'll be pretty darned good.

I've used the Oxph-Blue for years. It's the best I've ever found. The steel wool method works best for me also.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

Thanks for the input! I'll get some ordered. Finally got all the grease out of the stock (Easy Off & ammonia work great) now I'm ready for the finishing touches.

Update; Finally got around to using the Oxopho Blue on the Mauser (Shoulder surgery slowed me down a bit). That suff is great! Used steel wool to apply it, buffed it out and it came out real good. Didn't stop there, dug out some old .22 rifles and did them too. The true test is how durable it is, but as easy as it is to apply it'll be no big deal to re do if needed. Thanks again for the input I got on this subject.

What do you do? Just apply it to steel wool and rub it into the area to be re-blued? I need to do a little touch up on an old .22 so I might give it a try also.

------------------
R6

Steel wool or a cotton swab. The swab might work better for spot touch-ups. The .22's I did apparently had some form of cold blue on them already, the brake cleaner took most of it off.

Back