Brought a lost handgun back home

JimmyR

OK, so long story short, I had a S&W 642 that I sold, thinking "I have other pocket pistols, I don't need this, and the money will be great before the baby comes." I did the deal, and felt OK...for a while.

I kep thinking about what I was going to carry, and kept thinking back to that little J frame. I thought about replacing it with a 357 j frame. I looked at other options, and kept thinking about it.

Then it happened. On my local Facebook group, the guy I sold my snubbie to put it up for sale. Same price he paid me. Never shot it, just carried it. I couldn't make the deal fast enough. No haggling, nothing. My little boy came home later that day.

So, anyone else have this happen? You sell a gun, only to end up buying it back a little while later?

Sort of

I gifted a family member an import semi auto. After that he went on a spree and bought a lot more firearms and got into reloading (must have opened a can.. or bucket). Then he gave his first firearm back because he didn't end up using it anymore. I sold it because while it was fine, import replacement parts were not supported anymore and we both had more easily serviced pistols.

We have a 642 that was gifted to my wife. While I haven't shot it for a long time, (she doesn't shoot much) it's a good one and the trigger pull is much more even near the breaking point. That's in comparison to a 442 I once had and a M&P340 I still have. That 642 is a good one and never had any work done on it. I don't think we should sell it unless dire circumstances. It's a keeper.

I couldn't make the deal fast enough
Aaah, you learn well, young grasshopper!

Not the same gun, but I have been replacing various guns of my youth that I foolishly traded, or sold over these oh, so many years!:D

I don't intend to sell any of my future guns. Once I buy it it's permanent. Things could change, I guess, but I doubt it.

So, anyone else have this happen? You sell a gun, only to end up buying it back a little while later?

Just once. I sold off a Baikal Makarov, and ended up buying it back from the guy 3 or 4 years later.

Most of the time when I divest myself of a gun, I'm well rid of it.

S&W 642 that I sold

I've got a 642 now. Honestly it strikes me as kind of a "jelly bean". Meaning, there's a whole bunch more of them out there, just like it. It wouldn't really matter if I got that particular one back, or another just like it.

Cheapshooter said:
Aaah, you learn well, young grasshopper!

You know, I was gonna make a reference to you in my initial post, but chose not to. I should have known I'd find you stalking my posts...

Lee6113 said:
I don't intend to sell any of my future guns. Once I buy it it's permanent. Things could change, I guess, but I doubt it.

coolbreezy I'm never selling or trading any of my guns said:
I guess this is where Cheapshooter will blast me for heresy, but I don't have a problem with selling or trading a gun. I buy a gun I think I will like, typically buying used, and if I don't like it, or it doesn't really fit what I wanted it to do, then I sell it. I don't have the disposable income to just buy every gun I want. Plus, this way, I get to try out and really spend some time with guns that I probably wouldn't get to use anyways, like an old Ruger P95, a Rossi 942, a Sig 250, a Webley Mk 4, etc.

That said, certain firearms I own will never be sold, including a few that I inherited from my father, as well as my CZ 75BD, My S&W Model 65, and maybe my Bulgarian Makarov are guns that I just don't think I'm ever selling. It all depends on what else comes around, and what guns have stopped tickling my funny bone.

lee n. field said:
Just once. I sold off a Baikal Makarov, and ended up buying it back from the guy 3 or 4 years later.

Most of the time when I divest myself of a gun, I'm well rid of it.

I'm that way about half the time. Sometimes I sell a gun and really have no strong desire to get another one. I don't think i'm ever gonna get another P95, another PA-63, or another Rossi revolver. Other guns, like my 642 or my old Security Six I ended up buying back (the Sec Six ended up getting sold again in a mass sale due to upcoming baby expenses).

lee n. field said:
I've got a 642 now. Honestly it strikes me as kind of a "jelly bean". Meaning, there's a whole bunch more of them out there, just like it. It wouldn't really matter if I got that particular one back, or another just like it.

Normally, I would agree, but I had an old NRA Edition S&W 642- 2 1/4" barrel, ported, black finish, with a big dot sight. I sold it to a friend, and kicked myself ever since after shooting a generic 642. That was one of my biggest gun mistakes. I know I could try to buy it back, but I know I'd probably pay what it's worth, not what I sold it for.

I guess this is where Cheapshooter will blast me for heresy
LOL, not really.:D:D:D
That's your choice. Actually I have violated my #1 rule a couple times as late. Just to get something I wanted, and had some "duplicates" so I kept the best, traded the other.
But as to buying, and trading in order to "try" something, I don't buy guns unless the interest me in the first place. The interest seldom goes away, so I keep them.
Like I said, I'm now in the process of replacing similar guns that I did trade or sell, and regretted. Problem is, the $35 that my dad paid for my pawn shop Stevens 59a has to be multiplied several times ove to find another one. Same for the $75 Stevens 311. I think I paid that plus another $400 when I found another one in really good condition.
So if it makes you happy to "lease" guns, that's great. You get to experience many guns. I would just be bothered by not permminantly owning the ones I really liked, which would probably be most of them!:D

Lee N. Field: "Most of the time when I divest myself of a gun, I'm well rid of it."

Yes, I've sold a number of guns over the years with no regrets. The only regret that I've had was my much fired .22 LR Buckmark. If I hadn't sold it, I doubt I would have bought and sold the Sig Mosquito (Terrible gun!) which followed it, then bought a problematic 22/45 that needed to be troubleshot. Now that the 22/45 has been corrected, I will never sell it--despite my friends' urging me to sell it to them.

Most of my sold guns, with that one exception, have been problematic firearms that I've been happy to be rid of. That said, I'm trying to make the most informed purchases I can so I won't buy another lemon.

My wife and I went through a rough patch financially about 4 years ago. I had to sell absolutely everything in order to keep food on the table. We both worked hard and pulled back from the brink. I bought one shotgun for home defense right away and then we focused on the important stuff. This year I finally have been able to replace the guns I sold. 642 was the last on the list to replace... Just added her back about three weeks ago.

I traded a 5.5" Ruger Redhawk (one of the first 12 sold in Alaska) to a friend for his Coonan. I was proud of that gun, but he admired it so. Glad to have it back.

A few years later, when he went back to his home country (which outlaws guns) he made the Redhawk a gift tome.

Dan Wesson Pistol Pack (with shoulder patch and belt buckle) is still out there and sorely missed.

Randall 45 ACP is also gone. Foolish trade.

Lost Sheep

Not the same gun, but I have been replacing various guns of my youth that I foolishly traded, or sold over these oh, so many years!

Me to Cheapshooter!

I killed my first five deer with a Marlin Texan 30/30 carbine. I'll replace that soon! I've already got enough S&W 10s (first centerfire handgun I shot alot. I was 16 at the time.)

Already got another Colt Commander but it's the Marlin I want to find.

My dream would be to get one of the 18 inch barreled ones (they also made a 20 AND the Marlin Marauder.. 16 incher!)

And Jimmy, my first CCW gun was a S&W 640 all steel Centennial in .38 Spl. Got it over 20 years ago.. I use USE IT! And my S&W 2 1/2 66-1 I got maybe 30 years ago. I still have it to.

Yes try to hang on to some of your old favorite guns.

Deaf

I have had to buy back ORIGINAL guns that were stolen from me. I've had to buy back different guns of the same model that were stolen from me. However, I've never bought back one I sold. And, I've regretted selling EVERY ONE of the three I have sold. However, I made a promise to myself 7 years ago that I'd never sell another one unless it was a last resort. So far, I've been blessed to not have to do as I had to then.

Sometimes life isn't fair and, we have to do things we don't want to. So, I'll never say never but, given the choice, I never will again. So, I don't see the buying back thing being relevant because I made a mistake selling it the first time. God Bless

I've sold a bunch, had some regrets briefly about a few, but am now glad they are gone. I did run across one of my old shotguns for sale and re-purchased it. Kept it about a year and remembered why I sold it the 1st time. It is now gone.

When I married my wife I promised to love and keep her. Didn't make that promise with any gun and have no issues for swapping one if a better opportunity comes along. For the right price all but the ones with family history can and will be sold and replaced with something better.

I did however keep the promise to my wife of 32 years.

I sold a friend a Llama 1911 because I was short on funds, I was able to buy it back a few months later. It is still one of my favorites.
I made the grips out of oak and had one of my favorite authors sign them
One side as himself
10429440_1551104058463005_8487687907514003452_n.jpg

and the other the main subject of his books
1507645_1551104128462998_9096263744607373930_n.jpg

Back