Broomhandle Mauser ?

Fred S

I bought a 1896 Broomhandle mauser this past week. its in only fair conditon and the barrel is rough with little rifeling. It is a 7.63 caliber gun, the non-magizine kind.

I see the Numrich Gun Parts sells a complete new barrel extension. I an thinking of getting one in 9mm. Is it as simple as just sliding it on my lower? Anyone have experince with these new extensions? Need some info before I sink the $$.

Thanks.

Fred

i don't know, i suggest you ask gunpartscorp or a good gunsmith who may have ran across such a weapon. ask him if the parts are interchangeable.

if you are going to change to a larger diameter caliber (9mm) you will have to replace the barrel or have it drilled out and rebarelled. I understand the barells on the Mauser broomhandles have to be cut off and have the new one silver solder in. I don't think they are supposed to come off at all so replacing them is tricker than modern auto's

thats all i know (or think I know)

shiro

If the Upper comes with the barrel extension (ie) upper receiver it is just a swap in fix.Besure it is not just a barrel that needs to be press fitted or soldered into the old breach setup.:):)Good luck with your project.:)

Numrich barrel extension

I have purchased the barrel extension from Numrich. It appears that they took an old upper, cut off the barrel and cored out the spot where it used to be, and then fastened on a new barrel. Bore is perfect. Bolt is unblued, though that's probably a matter of taste. Two problems:

-1- The frame has a "step" just below the barrel, and the old barrel extension has a notch there. I don't know whether this serves any purpose other than preventing barrels without such a notch from being used on that frame. If not, it shouldn't be too hard to grind it off, but I'd like some confirmation that it's safe to do so before I start taking off material.

-2- The old bolt has a 'bulge' on the bottom which serves to fully cock the hammer when the bolt is drawn back manually or 'automatically'. The new bolt lacks this bulge. When I test the new bolt in the old upper (can't test it in new upper, due to problem #1) manual cycling does not cock the hammer; rather, the hammer ends up caught in one of the notches on the underside of the bolt. Is this normal (automatic cycling would probably put enough momentum into the hammer to carry it past the cocking point)?

BTW, with regard to the notion of using the old (nicely-blued) bolt in the new upper, there are two problems: -1- The old bolt's firing-pin hole is too big, and so firing pins will not last long at all with the old bolt; -2- the bulge on the underside of the old bolt does not quite fit the new upper.

Scnellfuer

Supercat:

Mentor Arms Co in Ohio, who specializes in restoring Broomhandles told me that the Numerich extensions may be from "Schnellfuer" automatic pistols and they may not work with a normal pistol lower. That may be why there is the problems you are having. The Numerich catalog does mention something about the schnellfuers in the catalog but I don't have the catalog in front of me right now.

I may send my gun off to mentor to be redone. Or I may sell it.

Fred

I have one of the "Reg 9" 9mm models, and it's certainly a head turner when I take it to the range. OTOH, I'd have to disagree that it's a practical pistol. They are finicky about ammo, difficult to load, and the grip and general ergonomics suck. I just think they're a very neat looking gun, every collection needs one. :)

Back