Broken Case Extraction - need advice

RickC

I took a new P-Ord P14-45 Limited to the range yesterday to break it in.

On about the 26th round, it ejected the back half of the case, leaving the front half firmly seated in the chamber.

Any suggestions on how to remove this without doing damage to the barrel?

Is this likely to happen again (as in ... is there possibly something wrong with the barrel)?

Thanks

ps Up until this failure, this gun shot like a dream. I was teaching my 16 yr old son the basics, and he out-shot me with it!

That's different. One expedient might be to pull a new .45 cal brass (NOT stainless steel!) brush into the chamber from the muzzle end (put rod in, screw brush on at chamber end) and pull until you think the bristles are into the portion of the case still remaining. Then reverse direction. With luck the bristles will jam into the inside surface of the case enough to take it out. Some judicious tapping, etc., on the end of the rod might help. I have done this successfully with 7.62 in an M14. I suppose that Brownell's might have a case extractor for .45 ACP, but this is highly unusual. In any event be very careful and go slowly. It's not hard to scar up the chamber or bore! (Be interesting to know why this occurred...)

------------------

The .45 auto can use the .45-70 case extractor, which Brownells lists at $18.95. The ones made for the .45-70 trapdoor are available at gun shows for a couple of dollars.

As to your immediate problem. If the chamber brush does not work, try finding a tap that will fit into the case, turn it carefully enough to cut into but not through the brass, and then tap the tap (yes, I said that) out from the front with a cleaning rod. The case will come out.

Then check the headspace on the pistol. If you are using reloads, check your reloading methods. If you are using bargain reloads or cheap ammo, you might want to reevaluate your choice.

Jim

[This message has been edited by Jim Keenan (edited March 26, 2000).]

I tried Robert's suggestion, and it worked without any persuasion needed. Brush in and when I pushed it back, there was the case (third pass, each a little further in.)

These were re-loads, my own. I've fired hundred of these through my old .45, but this was the first time with the P-Ord. Hope this was a one-time thing.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.

Cheers,
Rick

I guess I've gotten so old and cranky about today's world that I don't trust anybody's quality control if I didn't build it myself.

If you still have your old pistol, compare the polish of its chamber against the polish in your new toy.

If the old gun is better, check out the "Polish feed ramp" thread, here. (Naw, it ain't feed ramps from Poland...)

Damfino, Art

Back