Broke my old Lee auto-prime. Recommend a new one.

buzz58

Hi broke my old round Lee auto-prime. No parts available, so I’m in the market for a new one.
What brand is everyone using now?
I see many manufacturers are making them....
Lee
Lyman
Rcbs
Frankfort Arsenal
Hornady
Thanks for any information, input.

Ive got and used several hand priming tools, a couple benchmounted tools, and the one built into my rockchucker, which i hate by the way, but i got this one a few months ago, and it is absolutely my favorite one, it may be slow because you load the primer in by hand, but the feel and the ability to set the primer positively in the correct depth is awesome. Also if your a bit older like me, your not making your hands ache after hundreds of rounds. https://www.amazon.com/RCBS-9165-Ra...d=1588531405&sprefix=rcbs+pri,aps,177&sr=8-23 Here is the link at midway https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012930411?pid=416519

In terms of bang for buck, the new Lee Auto-Prime is probably the best choice. I prefer the original, and I'm glad I have two of them. I live in dread of the day the handle breaks on one of them. If/when that happens, I will probably look into making a replacement handle rather than buy a new priming tool.

Of the current Lee priming tools, I prefer the Ergo-Prime. It seems to work better than the new Auto-Prime, at least for me. But I've been eyeing the Sinclair priming tool. Even though you have to load one primer at a time there is less fiddling than with the multi primer trays, especially if you are only loading a few rifle cartridges.

In a box of stuff that came with an old lee turret press I bought was a red plastic box of 12 or so shellholders. I originally thought they were the regular kind that I could use on the press, but found out they were for the auto-prime when I finally tried to use one.
So...I recently bought an auto-prime to go with them. 23 bucks or so on Amazon IIRC.
I’ve used it 3 times so far and really like it. Had to grease the little plastic slider on the primer tray though to get it to slide smoothly.

When my Lee hand priming tool broke I just started priming on the press (Lee Classic Cast) ... once I got used to it I think it is faster doing it this way during the decap/resize step.

I think it depends on your purposes. For floating firing pin self-loaders like the Garand, the primer seating tool built into the Forster Co-ax press is best, IMHO, as it guarantees the primer is well-below flush with the head of the case, which is important for discouraging slamfires. For high precision rifle loads, getting primers to ignite with consistent timing and flame strength and duration at consistent firing pin energy requires seating them so the anvil is compressed 0.003" into the priming mix. The only tool I am aware of that lets you measure this directly is the K&M Primer Gauge Tool. For handgun loads and plinking loads, you can generally use any tool you like the feel of.

decap/resize step
Depending on what and how you reload, not everyone considers this to be one step. For example, I wet tumble range brass (no pins), Deprime, wet tumble with pins, dry tumble with corn cob and Nufinish. Only then do I resize in batches, Prime in batches. Then load the prepped brass.
I use the RCBS Universal hand primer.
Google FSReloading for Lee parts. Also call or email Lee. They may fix or replace free.

Go to eBay, there are usually several for sale there. I think about ten years ago I bought a couple of them so I’ll have spare parts if needed.

RCBS hand primer.
Second to that, the Hornady hand primer.

Better than either of the above:
RCBS bench prime.

The rest has ergonomic issues, or is Lee (aka: garbage).

I didn't check that part number. But, I believe you're describing the primer cutoff. It cuts off the contents of the tray from the primer being seated, to help prevent chain detonation.

There's a slot for a primer to slide through, when in the fully opened position.

Back