British Handgun Purchases in USA- Greenwald & Haughton

AlanDavid

I am currently researching British Military procurment of small arms from America during the Second World War.Throughout the war there was a continual shortage of automatic pistols,which were intended for issue to, amongst others, British agents of the Special Operations Executive,or SOE. Several attempts were made to source handguns in America including advertisments in The American Rifleman magazine.

In the August 1943 issue a half page advertisment was placed by "Greenwald & Haughton" of 10301 Berea Road,Cleveland,Ohio, for "Automatics for an ALLY". Any make of .32 ,.380 ,.45 and Luger Automatics was requested, a coupon being enclosed so readers could send in details of their handguns and the price they wanted.This was followed up with another advertisment in the same publication in February 1944.This time in addition to "All Automatic Pistols from .22 cal.to.45 cal", revolvers were also requested,specifically,".38 ,.45 ,.455 Colt, S&W, Webley"

Does anyone have any information on Greenwald & Haughton? I would like to know the nature of the business,eg retail store,wholesaler,agent, etc. Are they still in business and if so contact details. Perhaps some of the more senior forum members had dealings with this firm? In short any information on Greenwald & Haughton would be appreciated.Many thanks.
broardarrow

Thanks, that's a useful bit of information. First bit of new info I have had in a while on this topic.

Regards

AlanD

Back