Brit 303

GUNNER336

Got some South African .303 174 Gr non-corrosive FMJ that came in 50 rd boxs all nice and shinny. 1980 dated. What is the current value per round on this. could not find any for sale anywhere to compare.
Anyone

It is great ammo, but I personally would only pay that much for reloadable Boxer ammo. Anything Berdan I wouldn't pay more than .30-.40.

I have about 10 boxes of the SA 7.7X56R, and paid about $5.00/box years ago. I have seen it for around $25 to $30 a box in recent years. Good stuff.

Got it in a trade with other stuff but no gun. Do not have a 303.

Stuff is nice and clean in unopened 50 rd boxs all same lot. All 1980

Looking to sell or trade

I have some of the same stuff.

I bought it as non-corrosive from Midway, but it is MOST DEFINITELY CORROSIVE.

I clouded a very fine bore on my Lithgow No. 1 Mk III, much to my INTENSE anger.

The stuff I have is recent South African manufacture from the same time frame, I think.

It is headstamped A81, 7.7, M3Z

I bought several hundred rounds.

It is DECIDEDLY CORROSIVE.

It's the only ammo that has ever been through my Lithgow since I purchased it.

The ammo was advertised as non corrosive, but the rusting I encountered after firing and not cleaning for several days during the summer a few years ago leaves no doubt that it is corrosive primed.

I won't doubt you, but we have had very different experiences with this ammo. I've shot alot of that stuff through two Enfields with no issues at all. I have also discussed this, and other modern RSA ammo, with friends at PMP and SABS. One actually laughed when asked about this very question, and assured me it wasn't corrosive primed. I guess if you always assume milsurp ammo is corrosive, and clean accordingly, you'll never have a problem.

I thought it was non corrosive, too. That's why I violated my first rule of foreign military surplus: Ammo that doesn't have a NATO acceptance mark on it - treat it as if it corrosive and clean accordingly.

I was shocked when I came back a few days later and noticed that there was a nice spray of rust on the crown. I immediately ran a patch down the bore, and got rust.

What had been an almost pristine bore no longer was. It wasn't destroyed, but it wasn't all mirror shiny anymore. :mad:

The stuff shoots great, but I take great pains in the cleaning process now.

I got the original packing shipping slip with the ammo from Sportmans guide and it says Non Corrosive, Berdan primed. Each box of 50 is sealed and stamped " A/3/80. all are headstamped A80

As for the the corrostive questions I think the best answer is to treat it like it may be and be safe.

Looking for 44 mag or Special. and 45 Long colt ammo

Back