Bring back discontinued but best buck: Flite Control #1 Buckshot Tactical LE132-1B

Agree with some caveats.

I would like to see a return of the LE132-1B with one major change. The fifteen .285", 33 grain pellets should be replaced by twelve .30", 40 grain pellets.

Yes, I know that .285", .30" and .315" pellets could all be labeled as American Standard "#1 buckshot." At least according to SAAMI's insanely loose tolerances.

Nonetheless, actual nominal .30" pellets are what American shotgunners have been led to associate with "#1B." Indeed, those 12 thirty caliber pellets fit the LE132-1B Flite-Control wad perfectly and weigh virtually the same.

Same payload weight. Same velocity. Better penetration. All with the goal of consistently meeting the minimum/maximum FBI penetration standards.

Last edited:
Question: I used to shoot trap many years ago and reloaded my own shells. I haven't reloaded in almost 20 years so...if federal isnt making the round you want...is it possible to buy the flight control wads and load them yourself?

...if federal isnt making the round you want...is it possible to buy the flight control wads and load them yourself?
I haven't seen the flight control wad for reloading. But you can get wads that haven't been cut for the petals yet. If you only cut half as deep as usual it is the same result. You can also customize the load for better than factory results. And more choices of shot size too.

I haven't had my shot shell reloader set up in years but I found that 10 .32" balls from a .32 caliber muzzle loader mold weighed in at just under an ounce with the alloy I was using back then. So I loaded up a bunch of them and went shooting. Considering they had sprue stubs on them, they grouped pretty well.

I think I still have a couple of those loads somewhere.

Tony

Back