briley vs carlson

whitearrow

ok guys think i've decided to buy a couple extended chokes for my 20ga and 12ga franchi affinity. i've narrowed them down to briley x 2 black oxide vs carlson black oxide both extended non ported. i need a more open choke for close to 35-40 yd dove shoots then one for a tighter pattern for further out. i want a dense pattern but a fairly wide one for my cloe to 40 yd doves.
thanks,
eddie

Is your question about which brand or which constrictions to get?

If it's about brand.... Briley, Carlsons, Trulock,.... I don't know that it really matters. They are all well-made (in the US) and work almost exactly the same, regardless of what their marketing departments might say.

I've used various aftermarket chokes, and I can't say one brand is better than another. Depending on material, some may be heavier. Some may have a longer extension or different knurling or a different finish. You might make a choice based on those differences, but I don't know that one is better than another.

As for constriction, ammo may have as much to do with pattern density as the choke tube, but I'd maybe go Light Modified for your 40-yards-and-in tube.

Last edited:
You might also want to consider Muller Chokes.

Although originally developed for clay sports, Muller now makes a series of chokes for hunting. I changed to Muller chokes in my Beretta and have found the patterns to be more even than either Beretta, Carlson, or Trulock chokes.

I tested a Muller, Beretta, Carlson, and Trulock choke at 40 yards on a pattern board by shooting 5 patterns with each choke and then counting the pellets on target paper with 30-inch outer circle and a 20-inch and 10-inch inner circles. The results were very interesting.

While the pellet count within the circles was within 1% between the different manufacturers' chokes, the Muller chokes had less clumping which resulted in fewer holes in the patterns. In some cases the Muller chokes had 50% fewer holes in the pattern that a clay could pass through which could result in a miss.

When you looked at the patterns, and visually evaluated them, the Muller patterns appeared to have more pellets in the 30-inch circle. This was found to be not true after counting. The difference in the visual appearance was due to better dispersion (fewer pellet clumps) resulting in fewer holes. This means the pellet dispersion within the circles was far more even.

The tests were done with Baschieri & Pellagri (B&P) Legend F2, 1-ounce, #8 clay target shotgun shells. I randomly selected one shell from five different boxes of shells and counted the pellets in each shell and used the average pellet count to compare the total pellets in the 30-inch circle. The pellet count average was 381 which gives an average total pellet weight of 0.9775 ounce.

While the Muller chokes are expensive, they have proven to me to provide superior performance because of the patterns having far less clumping and fewer holes in the pattern.

Last edited:
" close" and 35 - 40 yds are two different things ?.....-- what does " close" mean to you....?

I don't think there is a significant difference in quality between Briley & Carlson...and both companies have their fans / I like Briley...

Picking the right load 8's, or 7 1/2's, or 6's -- will affect your kill range with a given choke....

7/8 oz or 1 oz of 8's or 7 1/2's are probably the most common dove loads. I would probably hunt with an IC choke out to 30 yds with 1oz of 8's / screw in a Mod for 30 - 45 yds with 7 1/2's 1oz / 45 - 55 yds Imp Mod or Full and stay with 1oz of 7 1/2's. ......

Since I commonly hunt with an O/U I might go with Skeet -- IC or IC -- Mod / but I'll carry 5 or 6 chokes in my vest to change as conditions in field change ...birds sticking close - or not....

One choke won't work for 10 yds to 40 yds. ...

yeah bigjim what i was trying to convey is i like to let the doves get real close like almost on top of me before i pull up to shoot but sometimes they flare off or change direction. so the majority of my shots will be 25 yds and in but i'd like to stretch things a bit from time to time. i will be using either remington heavy dove #8 or some remington express long range #9 in the 20ga and probably the same in the 12ga. i see that briley doesn't make a light mod in the x2 black oxide in 20 ga. i wonder how much tighter their mod is than the ic in that particular choke? like i said i haven't shot a 20ga in years but wanted to got back with one some this year. and yeah i was asking brand quality between briley vs carlson AND which constriction would be best for my usage.
thanks and keep the thought come please,
eddie

You might also want to consider Muller Chokes.

Although originally developed for clay sports, Muller now makes a series of chokes for hunting. I changed to Muller chokes in my Beretta and have found the patterns to be more even than either Beretta, Carlson, or Trulock chokes.

I tested a Muller, Beretta, Carlson, and Trulock choke at 40 yards on a pattern board by shooting 5 patterns with each choke and then counting the pellets on target paper with 30-inch outer circle and a 20-inch and 10-inch inner circles. The results were very interesting.

While the pellet count within the circles was within 1% between the different manufacturers' chokes, the Muller chokes had less clumping which resulted in fewer holes in the patterns. In some cases the Muller chokes had 50% fewer holes in the pattern that a clay could pass through which could result in a miss.

When you looked at the patterns, and visually evaluated them, the Muller patterns appeared to have more pellets in the 30-inch circle. This was found to be not true after counting. The difference in the visual appearance was due to better dispersion (fewer pellet clumps) resulting in fewer holes. This means the pellet dispersion within the circles was far more even.

The tests were done with Baschieri & Pellagri (B&P) Legend F2, 1-ounce, #8 clay target shotgun shells. I randomly selected one shell from five different boxes of shells and counted the pellets in each shell and used the average pellet count to compare the total pellets in the 30-inch circle. The pellet count average was 381 which gives an average total pellet weight of 0.9775 ounce.

While the Muller chokes are expensive, they have proven to me to provide superior performance because of the patterns having far less clumping and fewer holes in the pattern.

+1.

Plus, they stand behind their stuff. My buddy had on bow a little at the threads. He called them and they sent him a replacement no questions asked. Once he got the new choke, they sent a prepaid label and asked her send the bad one back when he had a chance.

Check the website - at least Briley will ...tell you what the amount of constriction is for each choke...

http://www.briley.com/c-448-bore-sizes-and-constrictions.aspx

ultimately you'll have to select a choke that is a compromise - based on range / because the concept of picking a choke is to put a 30" effective pattern on the bird - and the intended kill range. While ranges are not absolute - and can vary with the shell you pick / a #8 pellet out of a 12ga or a 20ga at 1200 fps...performs exactly the same...and if you choose to shoot a 7/8 oz load out of a 12ga and a 20ga...then the performance, how hard they hit, pattern will be identical.

Don't overthink choke selection...but as you describe your goal ... you might pick a Mod choke, because you want to reach out a little...and at 10 yds it may give you an 18" pattern ...and at 35 yds a 30" effective pattern ...and because you want to reach out a little / you'll need to give up something close.

I'd forget the Light Mod idea....and just go with an IC or a Mod...

Check the website - at least Briley will ...tell you what the amount of constriction is for each choke...

That's one of the things Muller doesn't do because their constrictions don't match standard constrictions (modified, improved modified, full, etc.), and the choke's design is specific to the barrel's interior diameter at the choke's breach end.

From the Muller website -

After shooting many thousands of rounds on paper and tens of thousands of targets through 20 different guns and 13 different bore diameters varying from .7190 - .7510, I collected data and made blueprints for each and every one of them. Every choke tube I produce is based on this data. And, unlike every other choke tube manufacturer out there, the geometry of my chokes varies based on the barrel diameters they are made for.

As an example, a standard IM is 0.704 final constriction with a Muller U3 having a 0.705 final constriction being the closest for use in a Beretta with Optima-Choke HP chokes.

The Muller chokes are a tapered / parallel design where the choke tapers to the final constriction starting at the breach end of the choke and then ends in a parallel section about 1-inch long to the muzzle at the choke's final constriction.

The way you select the Muller choke is not by standard constriction, but by target range.

As an example, in my Beretta trap O/U, I have a U1 in the lower barrel (fires first), and a U2 in the upper barrel for doubles.

The Muller choke equivalents are:

Ü0= Cylinder/Skeet

Ü1 = Skeet/Improved Cylinder

Ü2 = Light Modified/Modified

Ü3 = Modified/Improved Modified

Ü4 = Full/XFull

Last edited:
Back