Bright new idea for teaching kids

cornered rat

Imaging a series of photos showing people, animals, buildings and each has a question: "Is it ok to shoot at these, y/n?"
Last one would be a pop can on a fence. Most people would say "yes".

Then show a photo where that same can isn't in focus....the kids some thrity feet behind it are! Then talk about importance of a proper backstop.

Certainly makes the point come alive, would be very effectively presented interactively either in PwrPt or onlne by shifting focus when they click on 'yes'. I've been kinda toying with doing the NRA basic handgun course in PwrPt as a trainng exercise (in my spare time) as an excuse to play with my digital camera, maybe even as a CBT in DemoShield. BTW, I visited your website, very nice, mon! M2

[This message has been edited by Mike in VA (edited February 24, 1999).]

Easy to do in Javascript or Director. I would like to add "burglar" shoot/don't shoot...turn on the light and it is an amnesiac neighbor...

In the Hunter Saftey program used by Tennessee Wildlife Resourses Agency they have a film on shoot/ don't shoot. It works just like you describe. Scenarios are set up and the film pauses to ask shoot or don't shoot?. I remember one in particular where you have a great shot at a large buck. But, if you look carefully, about 200 yards back you'll see an orange jacket moving in the tree line. I think this is a good way to teach kids to watch their backstop.

We touched on this in SafetyOn. In a very light "comic book" style 3D rendering we have a "good range" and a "bad range" - the good has a great berm backstop and targets like 'nilla wafers, paper targets, clays, animal crackers... even things like a map (which leads to the discussion of knowing what is in the surrounding areas - houses or roads in the distance, etc)

The bad range has a duck (wildlife), a pond (water skipping hazards), junk cars (bounceback hazard), glass bottles (enviro-hazard), a house in the distance, even a soccer ball hanging up in a tree (shooting elevated targets / no backstop / overcarry).

Its funny how many adult shooters growing up in a really rural scenario looked at the "bad" range and said "whoops - did that, did that, that too..." Nowadays we just have to be much more on top of safety issues then we did as kids!

There are some video tape projectors (expensive the last time i noticed, but like all these tech things, probably getting cheaper) - It would seem that one could set up a neat indoor range with these ideas of 'scenarios', actually shoot (or not) at a screen - making evaluations as the session progresses: a home made simulator with real ammo...

------------------
Member NRA (life), SASS (life 'El Chimango Pete' #20037), Muzzle Loaders, other clubs in Argentina. Firearms Instructor
On ICQ "Buzzard-Pete"

Our buddy Jim Crews does something like this in his 3.5 day class which includes a night shoot.

A screen is setup made of cardboard and white target paper. He then uses a slide projector to show 3 or 4 slides in a typical scenario. He enhances the simulation by standing behind the shooter and live acting (yelling, screaming, and cursing like the BG would) the part seen on the backstop. Let me tell you, it has some real sphinkter tighening realism to it. (Yeah I got it right, but it took more shots than it should have.) :(

------------------
Bubba

I did the night-time simulator and made the newbie mistake of shooting at the BG's weapon.

(sigh)

I'll get it right next time. At least I learned my lesson when my life wasn't truly in danger!

Back