Breech plug grease

scaryFORDman

I have heard of people that use plummers grease to keep the breech plug from seizing up.....but what about anti-seize, you know , the grey colored lube. ?

Look at some of my previous replies and you will see that I use and recommend the copper base anti-siez and sure enough, you can see the copper. The grey is a nickle based anti-siez and rated at a higher temperature than the copper based. I find that the copper base, works better. Does not make a diference on whether you have a blue or S.S. barrel with that S.S. breach plug. I also use it on the nipples. Makes sense to have a protective layer of copper between these metals. You can buy a small container very reasonably and have enough to share with your buddies. Handles the hot 777 just fine. Try it and keep your vents clear. Be safe !!!

I've used about any grease you can think of, and the one thing that holds true with any of them, is if you shoot to many times they will all tend to seize. The best advice I can give you is to make sure you have some kind of grease on the threads, and after shooting two or three rounds, take your tool and break the plug loose, then retighten it, and you can shoot quite a bit without the plug being so tight that you can't remove it fairly easy.
You don't have to take the plug out, just loosen it enough to break the crud seal. After doing this, it doesn't seem to re-seal as bad. Presently I am using gorilla grease, but it doesn't really matter what kind you use, as long as it is an anti-sieze grease. Just break the seal after a couple of shots, and it will come out pretty easy when it comes time to clean up.:)

are you talking about an inline breachplug or a sidelock? for my inline rifle i use wonderlube 1000 on the breachplug and nipple. the sidelocks we just used it on the nipple. just a light coating is all i put. i never used or thought on using antiseize on a breachplug or nipple. they don't sit long enough in the cabinet to rust up or freeze up that bad.

are you talking about an inline breachplug or a sidelock? for my inline rifle i use wonderlube 1000 on the breachplug and nipple. the sidelocks we just used it on the nipple. just a light coating is all i put. i never used or thought on using antiseize on a breachplug or nipple. they don't sit long enough in the cabinet to rust up or freeze up that bad.

They've got to be talking about an inline. Sidelocks ain't nearly bout that much trouble.

I've been using the LOCTITE copper-based antiseize - it is available as a stick. However, I had some difficulties unscrewing the breech plug on my inline after 30+ successive shots (took me half an hour and a couple of drops of gun oil to do the job).

One product I still want to give a try is the German WEICON. Comparing their properties and MSDS sheets, it just seems better for this particular application.

http://www.weicon.com/de/produkte/anti-seize.php

I use that purple gorillia grease from T/C. It is non toxic, smells good enough to eat and has done a great job for me.

Back