Breaking in Reproduction Sling

'88Scrat

I have a couple reproduction slings for my M1 Garands and M1917 from MILSCO that are very nice but the leather us stiff, like really stiff.

What is the best way to soften it up?

I don't really like using those old slings, but I have a buddy who does, and when he gets them he rubs Neatsfoot Oil (like the kind you used on your ball glove when you were a kid) into them. It darkens up the leather for sure, but the one's I've seen are really light to begin with. When he's done they look a lot prettier too!

"...Neatsfoot Oil..." Yep. Or saddle soap. Either one or any other such product will alter the colour. The sling that came with my semi'd M14 is like it has rigour mortis. My solution was not to use it. It's only an inch wide as I recall.

I paid about $65 for a "premium" brand name leather 1907 sling.It was dry and hard. Just installing it on the rifle,the smooth skin side of the sling cracked across the width of the sling. I was quite disappointed.

On the replacement,I treated it with Mink Oil boot dressing. A generous rub,the wiped it off. Then I let it sit a couple of days.

I'm happy with how it came out.

I'd be careful about over-doing it. Stretch is not a good thing.

Back