"Breaking-In" a new barrel !

Timothy

I'm ready to shoot my new Kimber Compact .45ACP and since it's my first time with a semi-auto I'm concerned with properly "breaking-in" the barrel. I understand the importance of the proper break-in of a rifle barrel and I have always been very particular and methodical when doing so but being new to this semi arena I need your help. Could you please share your opinions and/or break-in proceedures? Thanks in advance.

Hope you enjoy your new pistol!

I like to run a bore snake through the barrel,wipe the barrel with a light coat of oil,and proceed to shoot the heck out of it.

After about 100 rounds,drop the mag, and lock back the slide. Make sure the gun is empty. Put some oil on the slide grooves that run along the rails on the frame. Then drop the slide stop to close the gun. Put some oil on top of the barrel hood. Work the action by hand around 10 times. Repeat this for the next 400 rounds.

After the first 500 rounds,scrub your bore if you like. I still just like to run a bore snake through it. Then a very light oil on a patch run through the barrel.

You should be good to go.

Timothy:

The late Gayle McMillan posted here a number of times that the procedures for breaking-in a rifle barrel would do nothing more than wear it out faster. There's no need to break-in the barrel of your Kimber. Clean it, lube it, and shoot it. That said, you may get some failures to feed while the rest of the gun breaks in, but there's no need to break in the barrel.

M1911

Timothy,

The break in of a new weapon, especially one as nice as yours is something that affect the weapon the rest of the time you own it. A lot depends on proper breakin and it is best left to experts. I suggest that you ship your pistol to me along with about 1000 rounds of ammo. When I am completely satisfied that your weapon is "broken in"..I will return your weapon. I won't even charge you for the service!!!

Good Shooting
RED

Back