BreakFree CLP v. Militec-1

Cold Steel

It seems Militec-1 may be on the way out. Seems like they're still giving away more of the stuff than they're selling. The military's being bull-headed and continuing to use that greasy kid stuff (CLP), which is great for a jungle war, but tends to attract grit and sand. The Militec-1 is horrible for a jungle war, but is great for desert use, because it's dry. It's also horrible at preventing rust, but is superb for lubrication.

What are your experiences and which do you prefer? I've always used CLP, because I don't use much of it and I find that applying Militec-1 to metal parts is tedious with the hair dryer and all. But those who use it rave about it.

What about use on handguns? Surely some of you have older handguns that require gobs of lubricant to work. Or you live in wet, smelly swamps or the Arizona. What's your take?

I thought breakfree clp had been out for some time now. G96 clp is the current mil spec clp product. There better single needs products out there but I gave up on breakfree clp brand name after finally running out of a couples quarts I have used for 40 years and buying what sells as there current stuff.

Theres a very real difference in quality. Still don't know what our guys use in the worse of conditions in sand land. Maybe g96 !

I am not found of militec-1

Anyone know the difference between the G96 and BreakFree CLPs?

And what was it that you didn't like about Militec-1, OF? The thing with Militec-1, you have to apply it (easy enough), but then you have to cure it with a hair dryer. Even so, it would keep servicemen from having to clean their weapons 5-6 times a day. They're always having to clean them because of the grit that sticks to the internal components. Many have found Militec-1 to be a superb lubricant because it's dry. If you go to the Militec home page, you can read more about it.

Well you fairly well covered my dislikes. If you like it , use it. Breakfree has sold a time or two. The Original product had a bit of a yellowish tint to it . When a product is wet well and warmed it soaked into the surface pores and tended to stay there, treat the metal . With the occasional re-ap it became more and more weather resistant and over the years of growing up in florida and hunting in the swamps to 10* in northern Canada its always worked well for some 40+ years with the aid of the new G96 clp.

The new breakfree clp does not act the same . Whats the difference , who knows ,but its different. Many of us older guys knows it not the same.

G96 is very much like the old original breakfree clp and how at acts to a new firearm.

For me there is nothing I do in my life that needs a dry film lube. Tried it . Its a dry lube only clp is just that basic cleaner , protectant and lube.

If you stay live, work and play in a sand box then use it.

Back