Breakfast Sausage

Sea Buck

I put a small 4 point in my freezer this November and I want to try and make up some breakfast sausage with the hamberg. Does anyone have a good Idea on how to do this.It's frozen of course. I am thinking of thawing a couple of packages,have a local butcher run pork through it,about a 50/50 mix,and add seasoning form a Cabelas product.How does this sound? Ideas appreciated.Thanks and Merry Christmas.

Depends on how much work you want to put into it. My dad and I have been making our own for a while. But it turned into a lot of work and time. Season, cook, taste...season, cook, taste...till we got it where we wanted it. Now we just mix it 50/50 with some medium Jimmy Dean sausage. Goes farther that way too doubling the batch.

I've also taken to adding bacon (the cheap stuff) when I grind my deer, not just straight pork. But I use the ground deer for a lot of other things than just sausage.

The general recommendation is to mix wild game sausage at ~25-30% which is probably similar to what you buy at the store. I like lean sausage myself, we mix our sausage between 10-15%. We buy our sausage mixes from here http://www.butcher-packer.com/ and are happy with it. We generally use beef fat, but pork is good too.

Here is the recipe I use with wild pig.
1 pound wild pork
1 pound store bought pork
1 Tbsp Brown sugar
2 tsp sage
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp Marjoram
1 tsp Paprika
1/8 tsp nutmeg or allspice

Cube pork into 1 1/2" cubes. Add spices, let stand overnight in fridge.
Grind up mixture and Voila! Breakfast sausage. I run it through an attachment to make links. No casing for these links....

More like 60/40 or even 70/30. You can add lard or other rendered fats to the mix as well.

Curing mix from Morton's or a similar supplier, salt and pepper, sweetener of some kind (brown suger), and some kind of herb (sage, rosemary etc.).

That's the basics.

Later on you can add things such as roast garlic or onion and make up your own curing mix.
If you have a mixer, the odds are that a meat grinder/sausage filler is one of the add ons available.

Have fun.

Thanks guys, Jimmy Deans sounds like an easy way to go.I also use my deer burger for speghetti suace, chili, American chop suey,and meatloaf....makes my mouth water, lunch is 5 hours away.

I've had great results with LEM fresh sausage mix. I mix the ground venison 50/50 with fresh pork shoulder. The secret is if the mix is for 5lbs, use 4lbs of meat, if it's a 15lb mix, use 12lbs. I've used almost all of their fresh sausage mixes, but the Bratwurst is my favorite. Check them out here

Stu

I like more pork in the breakfast sausage mixture (60% deer-40% pork) then I do for the deer we use in chili's, meatloaf, burgers etc.

For them (burgers,chili,meatloaf mix), IMO, a little sausage goes along way. I have the butcher mix 2.5-3.5# of black pepper sausage in 20-30# of deer grinds.

He then marks the packages accordingly.

Also for Italian dishes, use a lb of deer grinds mixed with the black pepper sausage with a lb of Italian sausage. Just brown both in the skillet @ the same time.

Now I'm getting hungry!:o

Last edited:
Back