Break out the recipes for bear meat...

std7mag

Ok, so I have this thing that I don't like to shoot something that I'm not going to eat. AKA I haven't shot a bear due to the fact that most people hunt it for the challenge, and or the pelt.

I do remember my father telling me when I was young that he has had bear meat.

Very recently I have been approached about a "bear problem". Only way I will agree to hunt them is if I'm able to use the meat also.

So bring on those bear meat recipes...

And Thanks!!!

Std7mag

I eat bear all the time up here in bc we get 2 tags so my freezer is always stocked with bear now remember spring black bear is far better eating than fall and a smaller bear will taste much better around the 100-120 pound mark on the hook guted and skinned me and my family have bear tacos,Shepard pie,and bear burgers,and bear spaghetti are our favs

Ok, so I should go for smaller if possible, unfortunately season here in Pennsylvania is in the fall.

Just wanted to clarify that it is indeed edible.. Like I said, personal conviction keeps me from shooting something that I can't eat. Or that someone else wouldn't want to eat.

Thanks!!

Ken

I used to work with a girl who was a "mighty huntress". I should have called her Diana. One year she drew a bear permit, and she brought me a pound meat from the bear she shot. It was kind of like pork but redder. I used it like beef and made stew; it was pretty good.

You have to cook it well-done (or else freeze it for a month or more in a deep freezer) to prevent trichinosis. Bears are eat-up with that, like pigs used to be.

marinate in soy sauce and brown sugar.
throw on the BBQ.
serve with baked potatoe and corn on the cob..

no rare with bear, well done is necessary in case of trichinosis. same is true for anything that eats meat. when I took my bear skull to F&G this spring the feller collecting the molar said that the last case of trichinosis he saw was actually involving eating cougar rather than bear.... turns out the cat recently ate a bear that had it shortly before being killed.

Back