Break it down...Funniest field time

LASur5r

The other thread got me thinking...what about the funniest time that you ever had in the field (with a loaded gun?)
Get the ol' brain out of the gutter.. guys.

One of the funniest to me was when I was on a ride-along...(actually I was assigned to go), but the FTO had a newbie and me riding along. We got a disturbance call to a well known apartment building.
When we arrived on scene (first car to respond) the lights all around apartment were out. It was pitch black with no noise at all.
The FTO told the newbie to head to the left of the gate to the apartment and check to see if the gate was unlocked and wait for the FTO. I guess somewhere between the car and the gate the newbie had drawn his weapon....alll of a sudden we saw a flash followed immediately with the roar of a gun going off.
When the noise died down, the FTO and I were now hunkered down behind the patrol car looking for any signs of movement when we heard the newbie's voice...."Sarge? Sarge? I dropped my gun and kicked it ...now I can't find it."
After a few seconds, I heard the FTO chuckling next to me.
Seems that when he first started as a new patrol officer, that the same thing happened to him at this very same apartment. He couldn't find his gun, though, even though he had returned several times to do a search. A year later, he was responding to a disturbance call to this apartment, when his flashlight caught a reflection. When he checked it out, it was his service pistol caught in the bushes.
His FTO had chewed him out then, but cut him some slack so he called the newbie over and did the same thing...in that order and by the numbers.

So an officer sends a bullet to parts unknown (ND) and that's somehow funny? I'd hover between fire him right there or watch carefully for rest of career. Heck, why was the gun even out? Desk job material.

Seems that when he first started as a new patrol officer, that the same thing happened to him at this very same apartment. He couldn't find his gun, though, even though he had returned several times to do a search. A year later, he was responding to a disturbance call to this apartment, when his flashlight caught a reflection. When he checked it out, it was his service pistol caught in the bushes.

Lemme get this straight. This dude also:

1) Had an ND, and 2) Lost his gun for a year in some bushes that nobody ever apparently looks into

...and he still has a job? Not only still has a job, but is training others? :confused:

In LaSur5r's defense...

...almost the same thing seems to happen to rookies a lot -- pulling their guns at the wrong times. Happened to Chris "Mr. Tactical" Whitcomb in in Cold Zero, and his reward was five years in the boonies.

Seems to usually happen without the NDs and lost guns, though. Rookie deserved more than just a chew-out; maybe some remedial time on lost-dog cases or something.

- pdmoderator

Back