Break in using what ammo

MCForceRecon

Inactive
does it really matter what ammo you use to break in a Shorty AK? Obviously you have to fire 200 rnds or more to "polish out" the chrome, but does it matter the ammo you use. I always used 3D's Coyote .223 REMANUFACTURED ammo, I think it's semi jacketed. Should I use match or quality ammo for the break in? Does it matter if its FMJ or HP or what? thanks

Do you have an AK-74 chambered for the .223 or an AR? You wrote "Short AK". Anyway on all of my breaking in procedures, I use good quality "new" FMJ ammo. I don't necessarily use match grade because you are not going for accuracy now. Your main goal is to polish out the chrome. I blow through about 200rds of FMJ and then about 100rds of whatever else I want to use. People who have precision rifles sometimes break in their barrels with moly coated bullets to coat the inside. But since your barrel is chrome, just go with regular FMJ.
There are many preferences and opinions. Just pick whatever you feel comfortable with.

Ive owned several chromed lined weapons and the one thing that helped me break them in the best was JB's bore paste. Its like a 600-800 grit paste that literally polishes the bore.I receantly broke in a new bushmaster v-match, that happens to be chrome lined I polished it with JB's then I used some reloades that werent max loads and it broke in in about 75 rnds> That rifle now shoots sub moa groups with just about any ammo. But your question about what kind of ammo,well I personally dont thik it matters I'm just giving you a tip on a little easier and quicker way than 200 rnds.

Back