Brazos cast bullets testing

Shadow9mm

Bought some Brazos bullet for my 9mm. Coated cast lead. Did a sample of 10. They were a tad heavier than I expected. Got a few loaded to test next week, will update with how they shoot. they are only 0.0005 smaller than my bore diameter so hopefully well.

Description 9mm 125gr Round Nose/Bevel Base/Groove
part# LB-9-125-RN-BB-LG-356

sized .356
weight 125g
Hi-tek coated
BHN 13

So, the measurement
diameter, .356 for all tested, no variance, very consistent
Average weight 126.9, 1.52% above stated.
weight extreme spread 1.5g
max weight 127.8
min weight 126.3

Weights

attachment.php

Last edited:
Lead bullets should be 0.001" or larger than actual measured groove diameter—the coating might help you avoid leading.
Thankfully, .45 Auto will forgive almost anything.

How would the forgiving nature of 45 Auto help him with 9 mm?;)

I'll be interested to hear how these bullets shoot and whether or not you get any fouling issues. Lead bullets generally need to be bigger than the groove diameter of a bore to prevent gas bypass from blasting gas-cut lead off the edges of the base and impact-plating it against the grooves. But if the coating is strong enough and pliant enough, it may seal those small leaks before they become an issue.

I'll be interested to hear how these bullets shoot and whether or not you get any fouling issues. Lead bullets generally need to be bigger than the groove diameter of a bore to prevent gas bypass from blasting gas-cut lead off the edges of the base and impact-plating it against the grooves. But if the coating is strong enough and pliant enough, it may seal those small leaks before they become an issue.
I'm more than just "pretty sure" the .346" is a typo - Brazos couldn't make a .346" bullet if they wanted to.

I will update after testing, hopefully Wed or Thurs, weather permitting. I'm a little apprehensive to be honest. Had to make some educated guesses on the load data. It was cobbled together from a older lee manual. I feel ok with the load, but only 1 way to find out. got a ladder load from start to max, and 10rnds loaded at .2 below max (assuming the ladder load goes well) for velocity and accuracy testing.

test loads worked up
oal 1.150
Power pistol powder
start 6.0
max, 6.6 1235 stated

Here is what I ran into trying to find data

lyman
124g jhp 5.6max oal 1.060
125g jhp 5.7 max 0al 1.075
120g cast, 5.6 max, oal 1.065

Lee
125g jacketed 6.6 max oal 1.150

Alliant
124g Gold Dot, 6.4g, oal 1.120

Based on this data, and lees much longer OAL I felt comfortable going with their charge weight for jacketed bullets. Missouri Bullet company stated that the hi-tek coating has been reported to them to allow an additional 200fps velocity as well. In general the Lee data for 9mm has been about .2 to .4 higher than my other data, but when tested has been safe, just closer to +p loads.

My goal for these is to match my 124g hornady XTP load at about 1125, just under supersonic for training, so once I find safe max I will back off until they are in the right velocity range.

Last edited:
I am loading that pattern of bullet from Bayou at 1.145" OAL.
There is a bit of a semiwadcutter effect from the little shoulder that would control how long you can load it for a given chamber throat.

I am not seeing any fouling "issues" although the last batch came out .357". My Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die takes care of that and a pulled bullet miked .356".

My next order will be from Brazos, they are not so far behind as Bayou.
I can't help with a Power Pistol recipe, I am loading HP38.

The Gold Dot data is probably good if the seating depth is the same. Gold Dots have plated jackets, which are softer than jackets stamped from cups and often need something closer to a lead bullet load.

I am loading that pattern of bullet from Bayou at 1.145" OAL.
There is a bit of a semiwadcutter effect from the little shoulder that would control how long you can load it for a given chamber throat.

I am not seeing any fouling "issues" although the last batch came out .357". My Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die takes care of that and a pulled bullet miked .356".

My next order will be from Brazos, they are not so far behind as Bayou.
I can't help with a Power Pistol recipe, I am loading HP38.
I tried HP38 but did not get the velocities I was looking for. I also think I had the bullets seated out too far. they were significantly longer than factory spec and failed plunk test in 1 gun (the other accepted it). I need to work up another batch of test loads for it.

The Gold Dot data is probably good if the seating depth is the same. Gold Dots have plated jackets, which are softer than jackets stamped from cups and often need something closer to a lead bullet load.
I seated to the lee manual at spec at 1.150, GD is 1.120. the lead is seated farther out, but I don' know where the base in the casing is compared to the GD. I expect I would be fine as the Brazos are seated 0.030 longer.

Am crossing my fingers as I have 10k Brazos .45 bullets coming tomorrow. Been using Penn's bullets up to now, but he is slow getting back to me w/ a price for 10k more.

well, so far so good. Tested with older lee data for plated bullets
1.150 OAL
Win primers
federal brass
Power Pistol powder

6.0 1160fps 1 shot
6.2 1200fps (5 shot average)
6.4 1227fps 1 shot
6.6 1200fps, 1 shot, primer flattened, not going there again.

Only velocity testing, but no leading of the barrel was visible. Will be doing some better velocity data (10rnd groups to average out) for 6.4 down, putting them on paper to make sure they are flying straight as well as see how they group and if I can get a subsonic load.

Got another batch loaded up. hoping to test again this week sometime.
5rnds, 5.4g
5rnds 5.6g
5rnds, 5.8g
50rnds, 6.0g (full box to test for accuracy and leading)
5rnds 6.4g (my max)

Last edited:
Back