Brass jacketed hollow points

Elerius

I saw these the other day, Remington Ultimate Defense in .380. never heard of them, and Google turns up little behind the fact that they exist. Is a brass jacket better for penetration in a .380 round? Any general information?

Don't know much about it under this name, but Remington has been making gold sabers for a long time and in every other calibre they're highly recommended. Have some in my beretta right now. As for brass jakets I can't see.why they're any different from copper. Both are pretty soft metals harder than lead sure but still rather soft.

I actually googled "brass jacketed hollow points" but not the name of the ammo. I didn't realize they were updated Golden Sabers, as the box I saw was behind the counter.

The original question remains. Brass should be a bit stronger than copper, so I wonder if it would gain penetration from a metallurgical standpoint, by being more resistant to petaling earlier when impacting

Penetration depth can be controlled by factors other than the jacket metal, so I don't think you can make that assumption.

Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc. Most jacketed bullets are made using an alloy called gilding metal, which is again a brass, an alloy of copper and zinc. In other words same thing....different color. Expansion will be determined more by bullet design and jacket thickness, not the color or exact composition of the gilding metal jacket. The color difference catches the eye tho, don't it?;)

Back