Brass in the forehead, Extractor or Ejector?

Pilate

I have a Kimber Ultra Carry. It's pelting me in the forehead with brass about 1 out of every 10 shots or so. Is this due to the extractor or the ejector? Also having the now common Kimber slide stop problem. Any recommendations and prices for a slide stop replacement?

Pilate, it could be either. But the inconsistancy would lead me to believe that it only happens when you relax your grip a little. I've seen the same thing with a lot of pistol shooters. For the slide stop, go to www.brownells.com and search for stock # 560-450-501. Around $13. George

Pilate: Take the slide off the pistol and remove the barrel. Put a cartridge under the extractor and see if it remains there . Flip the slide a little and see if it still remains there. Rotate a quarter turn and repeat, then repeat again and again.If it works loose, disregard what the Gooroos say in their shop manuals, and bend the extractor shaft slightly to very sllightly increase the grip on your case. Some genius may have filed the hook and loosened it, so you may have to replace the extractor.
There is also a possibility that some of the case heads are bent slightly due to improper fitting of a tight barrel, resulting (after firing) in a case head that is bent. At certain rotations, the cases will be tight, and at others they will be too loose. The fix is to have the barrel properly fitted, or to stop using range pickups for reloading. Somebody left them there for a reason.
Heed George's advice about retaining a tight grip. The tendency is to loosen it as the string progresses, to escape the full impact of recoil.

Back