brass for my 25/06

oneshotone

Inactive
Hello '06 shooters,
On my birthday this year my son graciously funded a Savage Axis in 25/06 and also 40 rounds of Privi Partisan cartridges. Ishot up the 40 rounds and was very pleased with all of this, proceded to reload the pp brass with117 gn Hornady spbt bullets col 3.180" ( 0.010 off the lands) started off with 47 gn of IMR4350 increasing at 1/2 gn intervals. At 50 gns cases were sticking pretty hard.So went back to 49 gns and was not happy but the rifle was.
Later on I took some Remington Peters 30/06 brass ( $5.00 for 50 pieces used at the local firerms dealer) and ran them thru a full length die w/ Corbin bullet lube and loaded from 47 gn to 52 gn in 1/2 gn increments all other specs identical and my rifle fired them all with no problem. Fired cases ejected as well as new unfired rounds. I neck sized this brass and repeated the process with same results. The necked down 30/06 brass is abt 0.002" thicker at the neck than the PP brass but a loaded case still had ok neck diameter for my rifle and worked so well I'm hoping remington will start selling brass again. The PP and RP brass were within 4 gn weight of each other empty and cleaned. I'm puzzled.Can somebody tell me the difference and still be nice to Privi Partisan?
thanks, oneshotone

My experience with the "foreign" brass is some of it is considerably "softer" than domestic brass. This might account for the "sticky" PPU brass. The other thing I've noticed is the foreign brass may be thicker and having less internal space, hits max load at a lower charge weight.
I loaded some foreign 8x57 brass and found the start load(listed for domestic brass) to be close to max load judging from the velocity received and the appearance of the fired brass.
FYI My preference for 25/06 reloading brass is Remington brand.

Isn't a smithy thing but European brass is made to CIP standards. American brands are to SAMMI specs. So is ammo.
Graf's lists Hornady, Winchester, No$ler and Prvi .25-06 brass. Prvi is roughly half the price of the others.
However, the weight really means very little. Especially when it's only 4 grains. That'd be a very slight difference in thickness.
Check the case lengths, trim chamfer and deburr, as required only(max case length is 2.484"). Forget the off the land stuff until you have a load. 3.180" is 15 thou too long.

I'm more concerned about the OD of the brass and whether when loaded it is within SAAMI specs. If yes, then don't worry about it but do inspect the brass in event it is near failure.

I had the same experience with almost exact load, 117 SST bullets under 50 grains of Accurate 4350 with the PPU cases (cheapest I could find). Shot it out of my Remington 25/06 Sendero, did not get sticky cases but primers showed signs of pressure.

Back