Brass everywhere...

vega

I noticed one shooter at the range with his empty casing consistently thrown in one direction. My casing sometimes fly over my head and some on my face (4 out of 10). How could I adjust the extractor so that it will also throw consistenly in one direction. Not on my face BTW. :D

vega

Vega, there is a combination of things at work here. The extractor tension, your grip, consistancy of the load, height of ejection port and the ejector. If you go to http://www.m1911.org/technic.htm you'll find an article by Bill Wilson on tuning the extractor but like everything else in the 1911 consistency is the key. Once you get the brass all going in the same direction you can make slight angle changes to the ejector to alter the direction. George

The ejector's the main thing.You can buy extended ejectors that help. Also,the recoil spring-a worn or too-light spring will cause brass to fly everywhere,especially with heavy or hot loads...

Hi, Vega,

The others seemed to jump to conclusions, but I will ask a silly question. What kind of gun is it?

Jim

Jim - It's a 1911 in 9mm Hi- cap. Same culprit I posted earlier with extractor problem. I got a copy of extractor tuning by Wilson as George mentioned. I don't want to do any filing now, just want to hear from you guys before I make any BIG decision.

Got a sillier question. What does molon labe mean?:o

vega

Vega, I just watched the movie a couple of weeks ago for the first time in God knows how many years. I'm not sure if that was the origin of the saying but anyway in the story of the 300 Spartans when the king of Persia with his army of thousands demanded that the Spartans throw down their arms their response was "Molon Labe!" Come and take them. George

One thing that definitely will send brass all over is hitting the side of the ejection port on the way out. See if your brass shows signs of dents or dings. If so, then the ejector and/or the extractor needs work. Some people enlarge the ejection port, but that is not necessary if the extractor and ejector are right and working together.

Jim

No dent or ding. I'm gonna take out my file tomorrow and be brave enough face this problem. Will give you range report next week.

Thanks George. Seriously, I thought it was someone.

vega

I filed out some material which I suspect is the culprit but it still send brass flying everywhere and only two feet from me. I noticed that the ejector is woobly(?). Does this has something to do with it? Some case still flies over my head.

vega

Have to share this...

In my misspent youth, I shot with the Marine Corps Reserve in Oregon. The pistol team Captain was a Major (then) who will remain nameless to protect the guilty.

He had an accurized Government Model for target shooting. He used two main springs, one for wadcutters and one for hardball. With the hardball spring and ball ammo, it worked pretty normally. With the wadcutter spring and light loads, the empties reliably hit him in the face. He wore safety glasses and ignored it.

He had offers from all sorts of armorers to "fix it", but it shot too well and he was afraid any modification would screw it up.

However.... in slow fire, the two poor souls to his right and left could never shoot a decent string. They'd be watching that brass bouncing off his shooting glasses.

He also had a High Standard .22 match gun. The empties went 90 degrees from the line of fire and just barely slower than the bullets went down range. At least it looked like it.

If the brass is landing 2 feet to your right,at least you have the correct recoil-spring tension.

Does the brass from different manufacturers do different things?

9mm is a funny animal.Different brands of ammunition can have slightly different case web/head/extraction groove characteristics.

People,
I remove my extractor and show it a buddy. He told me that its for .45 cal. Well that no-good-smith of mine told me that its ok to use as replacement. I bought the right one yesterday and did a little filing and fired 50 rounds. No FTF nor FTE. The brass were consistently thrown about 135 degrees right from my line of sight. I really need to learn more about smithing.
Thanks everyone.

vega:)

Well,son of a....I feel for you,man.Tell your 'smith I'll be glad to show him how to work on guns,for a price.

Glad you got your problem solved.Stuff like that can really frost your buttocks.

Back