brass cleaning rod?

While I don't use brass rods, in a pistol while using a muzzle guard, the rod won't touch the barrel. Just use a muzzle guard and it won't matter if the rod is brass.

Some solvents react to the brass. I wouldn't get too worried out it as chances are you are going to be using a phosphor bronze brush which will react with the solvents. I use the carbon fiber rods but guess what the brush and jags screw into...a brass base on the end of the fiber rod. Depending on what cleaning solution you use, it may be a non issue from the get go

Some folks say stuff can get embedded on rods, with brass being softer supposedly its more prone to this happening. I've never seen/experienced it, but I am also meticulous on keeping that stuff clean.

The biggest thing is you want to make sure the rod isn't going to be scraping along the barrel, especially the crown. This is where guards/guides come in handy.

Kind of already answered but sure.
Jacket metal contains metals that can be dissolved by some cleaning solvents. The usual test is to look for a clean patch because there will be no jacket material left.
One of the metals used in the alloy is brass so the rod's brass will react with the solvent to say there is brass present. There is, but its the rod, not the bore that is producing the metal, so it is "false" for bore plating.

Hoppes and CLP have copper fouling cleaning properties. Both will react to brass or bronze. Doesn't harm your barrel in anyway, just means that your patches will come out dingy grey instead of white once you get all of the fouling out.

If clean white patches are that important to you, use an aluminum jag and nylon brushes like Wogpotter says above. Neither will react with the solvent.

Last edited:
Back