Brass catcher suggestions for handguns?

Kimio

So far my search for a good brass catcher has turned up with slim pickings.

Right now I'm trying to find a good universal brass catcher that will work whether I'm shooting while standing at an indoor range or if I'm shooting at the bench outdoors

There was a gentleman at my indoor range who had a nice one that came with a compact thing stand and a square like mesh bag that allowed him to catch most of his brass. All of it being from a 45 of some flavor.

Asking him where he got it, he sadly could not remember, since it was a gift to him.

I'll primarily be reloading for handguns, so being ably to reliably keep the brass from flying over my shoulder (at least most of it) would be a big deal for me.

Does anyone have some suggestions? There was one that attaches to a camera tripod, but that would be too bulky for what I'd need it to do at an indoor range.

You could probably make one from a wire coathanger and some mesh netting

A large aquarium net could serve the same purpose

If you need something larger, use wooden dowels for a frame

I picked one up from Sportsmans guide 20 years ago it has a lightweright frame and straps to your hand so you can use it for any autoloader.

Ooh... A company that spams you with popup advertisements every time you click a link to check out their ridiculously overpriced products.
Yea... Um... No thanks.

Either they're greedy idiots, or they've been hacked. Either way, I suggest you spend your money elsewhere.

Ooh... A company that spams you with popup advertisements every time you click a link to check out their ridiculously overpriced products.

FrankenMauser, if that had happened to me, I would never have posted the link.
But then, I use Firefox with a third party ad blocker.
My apologies for any difficulties you had with the site.
Yes, they are very high priced. But the OP didn't limit his price range.

Well I'm not sure how much I should be spending on one of these things. Heh.

But I figure he amount of money I'd be saving via reloading in the long run would likely pay for the bloody thing at some point.

So far the closest thing that I've seen in this thread that fits what I'd like is the link posted by Cowtowner.

I prefer ones that stand up simply because the spaces where I'll be shooting are a bit cramped.

On that note, I appreciate everyone who has posted suggestions. This really helps.

I've got the Caldwell double hoop "Brass Trap" that's number two on that Amazon page list. I've also got the CTK Precision brass trap about 4 spots below it.

The Caldwell trap breaks down to a smaller package, but it's more work to set up and take down. Both will sit on a bench, or mount onto a camera tripod. My handgun range has fairly narrow booths for a big guy like myself making a tripod unattractive so i picked up a Manfrotto 682B freestanding monopod. The bottom cap unscrews, and flips out three "feet" that will make it stand upright when screwed back into the base of the monopod.

That's still not quite right, so the plan is to get a pan head to mount onto the monopod between it and the brass trap so I can change the angle of the mouth of the trap.

FrankenMauser, if that had happened to me, I would never have posted the link.
But then, I use Firefox with a third party ad blocker.
My apologies for any difficulties you had with the site.
Yes, they are very high priced. But the OP didn't limit his price range.
Sorry about being a bit testy with that reply. I was in a bad mood, and it, apparently, carried over... :rolleyes:

I sent the company an email (nasty, as well, due to the mood), and they claim to be addressing the issue. So, my guess is that they got hacked. I still think they're asking at least 50% too much for their products, though.

I have built a decent brass catcher out of a laundry bag and PVC pipe for about $25. I plan on posting plans and a video after a little more testing with higher caliber ammo. So far it works with 22, 380 and 9mm, catching over 90% of the shells. I built it to work while standing and from a bench so it might fit your needs. BTW, the 10% that miss are rebounds that usually end up at your feet.
The pictures are of my third design. I have since made improvements and will be posting the instructions for building it in the next few weeks.

Attachments

• shell catchera.jpg
    shell catchera.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 198
  • shell catcher2a.jpg
    shell catcher2a.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 155
That looks really neat! I look forward to seeing the plans. My home range is on the grass and trying to recover the brass is really tough.

My home range is on the grass and trying to recover the brass is really tough.

Fire one round to see about where the brass is going to go, then put down a sheet or tarp

Tent stakes in the corners help if it's windy

Came across a guy on YouTube that had a catcher attached to his wrist. It also looked like a large fish aquarium net. Coat hanger wire and a stocking were used along with Velcro straps.

Back