Brass Bulge after seating

khaines0625

I'm reloading some 25-06 and have encountered something that seems a bit odd to me. I'm reloading this batch of brass a second time and have encountered an issue with the brass bulging noticeably near the neck.

I have double and triple checked that I am using the same powder, same grain count and same bullet as I did in the very last time this brass was used and I did not experience this. The picture really shows it.

It kind of acts as if it's a compressed load but, again, this didn't happen last time. I shown a flashlight in my bullet seater die and saw nothing abnormal. I'm confused as to why this would happen. Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20240719_172330.jpg
    20240719_172330.jpg
    990.8 KB · Views: 67
That almost looks like crimp-while-seating shoulder collapse/bulge.

Any chance you have the die body set low enough to do that ?

After re-reading the die instructions and checking out the section on crimping this is almost certainly what this is. I thought I could use the die depth itself to change the bullet depth but apparently that's stupid... doh! Total newb mistake.

Not exactly a quality, mind-expanding post but i greatly appreciate the advice. I know no one in real life that reloads to bounce these things off of.

Last edited:
This is exactly the kind of thing that happens when you try to (roll) crimp where the crimp has no where to go.

If you're not planning on crimping (and there's no reason to with a .25-06) the process is simple. Take your longest case (if not trimmed to a uniform length) put it in the press with the seater die removed or screwed nearly all the way out.

Run the ram to it maximum extension with the case in the shellholder. With the seating stem backed well out of the seater die body, screw the seater die in until you can feel it contact the case. This is the crimp shoulder touching the case mouth. Back the seater die body out 1/4 turn, and then lock it in place.

Do not touch it again (there's no need to)

This will keep the crimp shoulder above the longest case, so no crimp will be applied.

With the seater die body locked in place, take a loaded round, and screw the seating STEM down until it contacts the bullet. If this is the desired length, lock it down and load. If not, make small adjustments to the seating stem, up or down until you get the loaded length you want. DO NOT move the seating die BODY.

Do this, as described, and you won't buckle any more cases. IF you want to crimp, or seat and crimp in one step, this is just a simple matter of uniform length cases and proper die adjustment, both of the die body and the seating stem.

IF you're having trouble understanding the die instructions or what's in the manuals, there are experienced people here at TFL who can walk you through it step by step. Don't be afraid to ask. We all start out with zero knowledge and experience and go from there.

I began loading in the early 70s. No mentor, no internet, only books and gun magazines and I made about every mistake possible at one time, or another. IF you don't know, ask. If you're not sure, ask. If you are sure, ask anyway. Someone here has done what you've done, or what you're thinking of doing. USE that "historical" knowledge and experience. It helps all of us.

We've all done that very thing..I don't crimp any of my rifle ammo, so I place a nickel between my shell holder and die with ram at utmost position, tighten lock ring and reset seater pin.. no big deal man, Glad you didn't ruin more brass..

Back